Say hello to my little friend

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Oopsydaisy74, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Oopsydaisy74

Oopsydaisy74 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Just replaced my GH2 with this little baby. Wasn't using the video capabilities of the GH2 as much and I wanted to go with a smaller body. Definitely wanted to stay Panasonic as I figured the menus would be pretty similar. Very solid feel to it. Only things I would change is make the grip a little more pronounced and make the EVF built-in with eye sensor. G3/5 is almost there, but too similar to GH2. I find I prefer this style of body to the SLR type. Don't get me wrong, the GH2 was an awesome camera, just didn't shoot as much as I should have because of it's size. And I had gone from a 7D to the GH2, which was already a big reduction in size. Haven't gotten a chance to take her out, but hopefully tomorrow. Love the PL25, btw. Looking into getting the 14, now that I have this tiny body. Then when the 35-100 is released, I'll save my pennies for that to "complete" my glass collection. Excuse my crappy iPhone pics and enjoy your weekend, everyone

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi.. I just saw this and ordered one immediately . I also love this camera some how and this is the only Panny camera I love .
  3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Nice tricked out GX1. Looks hardcore..but not a subtle little street shooter, but highly capable. Definitely get that 14mm.
  4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would normally just carry only lens for street shooting and avoid using VF as it gives camera a more serious look. I normally use PL25 or OLy 45 mm one . I wanna get 14-45 Panny instead of 14 mm one actually.
  5. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Sweeeeeettttt.. Enjoy...
  6. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
  7. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Great choice. I love my GX1 and feel that the EVF is an absolute must in some situations, but it's also great to remove it when needed. Kinda hard to do that with a GH or G5/3. It's strange but sometimes the relatively small size difference between the GH (I had a GH1) and GX1 (without the EVF) takes you from looking like you are out on an official picture taking trip to just out having a good time and you happen to have a camera. I think this can affect whether subjects take notice or just let you fade into the background.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Very nice setup. :thumbup:
  9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    My two m4/3 bodies are am OM-D and a GX1 that has the LVF2 mounted essentially full time. It's a great complement for the OM-D.
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Congratulations! - The GX1 is definitely my favorite of the Panasonic bodies :smile: :cool:

On the other hand, I find the above statement by you to be most interesting....:smile:
  11. Oopsydaisy74

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    I think that I will shoot more because the camera will be with me more often than the GH2, but I guess time will tell
  12. Loksi

Loksi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2010
    I think you'll love the GX1. I'm recently new to it as well, coming from the GF1 and GH2. I feel that I'll probably spend more time with the GX1 now, but wonder if I should keep the GH2 for those times when I need to carry my 100-300mm (it feels a little 'big' on the GX1 but not impossible). I was surprised to find the GX1 seemed a fair bit smaller than the GF1 but I'm quickly getting used to it. The Leica 25mm is a very nice companion on the GX1, isn't it? Congratulations on your new 'little friend'. Great choice! :thumbup:
  13. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Know what you mean

Congratulations, it is a great combo and 1 that I have and enjoy using very much.

I did get the Ever ready case and use the half case which adds a larger grip feel and sits much better in the hand - the 25mm is a superb lens to use with the GX1 and the EVF is also miles apart from the old EVF1.

Here is mine in the case:

14. Oopsydaisy74

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
  15. Oopsydaisy74

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Thanks, Loksi. Yes, I think the camera and lens complement each other well.
  16. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Pretty little friend isn't it ?
    Although a different direction from Fuji's X or OM-D, I think the GX is the prettiest of mirrorless camera out so far. :)

Anyone know if there's accessory bottom plate to hang the camera strap to the side like M5 ?
    Don't really like hanging it from the neck :D
  17. Reactions

Reactions Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Question why do you have a uv filter? On your first photo ? Protect the glass?
  18. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Sweet lil rig, man! I've been trying to resist the lure, but feel a weakening resistance.
  19. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
  20. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    Yeah, I went from the GH2 to a GX1 for very similar reasons. Haven't regretted that decision in the least.