1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Save up for the next PEN or the 75mm f/1.8?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by zucchiniboy, Feb 29, 2012.

1. zucchiniboy

zucchiniboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Just curious for your thoughts, which would you put at the head of the line: the next PEN (with the E-M5 sensor) or the to-be-released 75mm f/1.8? I'm still on an E-P1, and would love the dynamic range, autofocus, and ISO improvements of a next-gen sensor. At the same time, lenses don't depreciate and usually end up being the better long-term investment.

Thoughts? Knee-jerk reactions? All theoretical, of course, because neither exist. But trying to plan for the future... :)

2. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    I always think lenses before bodies. Lens prices seem to stay relatively constant over time but new bodies are quite expensive when first released but usually drop significantly in 6 - 12 months.

I wonder how much that 75mm lens is going to be.

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It depends. A 75mm lens would be nice, but are you going to use it often? Zoom your 40-150mm to 75mm, and see if that's a focal length you're going to use a ton. The 75mm f/1.8 will obviously open up to a larger aperture, and it will most definitely have improved image quality, but to me it's not an incredibly useful focal length in and of itself, unless it also had macro capabilities (like the Canon or Nikon 100mm-105mm macro lenses on an APS camera, or a 150-200mm macro on a 5D or D700). Also, the 75mm doesn't have a release date, so chances are it won't be around until Christmas at the earliest.

A camera is something you're going to use every day, and it looks like you already have a solid lens collection. If you aren't wanting for lenses, and since your E-P1 has a few shortcomings, and is already multiple generations old, upgrade to a newer camera with a clear conscience.

4. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    The real question is how much do you want a 75mm prime? Are you more unhappy with the 75mm images you currently get with your 40-150, or the dynamic range, AF, stabilization and low-light capabilities of your E-P1?

I was faced w/ a similar decision awhile back: GX1 or 45mm macro. I decided that my 14-150 sat on the shelf too much of the time because I was unhappy with the quality. That actually bothered me more than the low-light capabilities, AF speed and craptastic EVF option for my GF1. I opted to keep the GF1, ditch the 14-150 and get the 45mm macro. I'm guessing it was the right choice because now I want the E-M5 instead of the GX1, but for features that I don't already have and wouldn't get with the GX1 (tilt screen for low-angle ultrawides and built-in EVF). Also, I don't miss the 45-150 range that I lost... I just don't care as much about things that far away as I do about things that I can get super close to.

Look back through your pics and analyze it from that angle and you should have your answer.

5. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Everything that I've read about that lens points to it being a macro. Obviously it's still vaporware so that might change, but 75mm would be a more useful macro focal length for outdoor work than 45mm.

6. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I read the upcoming 60mm was macro, the 75mm a "portrait lens".

7. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    :eek:

you're right - forgot there were two upcoming Olympus lenses.

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Why wait for the next PEN and then pay full brand new sucker price when there are a plethora of barely used E-P3s in the classifieds?

I will second what others have said about how often you'll be using that focal length...and compared to the difference between the E-P1 and the E-P3 ....it's a no-brainer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Just curious for people's opinions; should I buy a dog or an umbrella?

Sell my car or get a new job?

Buy apples or oranges this week?

I just love these theoretical questions. Keep 'em comin! :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Biggest question is... what lenses do you have now, and what kind of lenses do you need to shoot what you do?

• Like Like x 1
  11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Because, although the E-P3 has faster operation, it doesn't have the OP's want of
    The AF is heavily improved from the E-P1 to E-P3, but it doesn't have the 3D face tracking of the E-M5, which could be the tipping point for the OP. The E-P1 to E-P3 is an incremental upgrade; E-P1 to E-M5 isn't.

I've always heard it as, "Is it colder in the winter or at night?" But, I think I like your versions better. This is true, as it's something only the OP can answer. Who cares what others do?

12. zucchiniboy

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the thoughts so far--I have also wondered about the 75mm focal length, especially having the 45mm, I might appreciate something closer to 90-100mm. I shoot mostly primes, so keeping a 2x ratio (carrying just the 20 and 45) or 3x ratio (carrying the 14 and the 45) between my primes works for me.

As far as the E-P3 goes, I definitely am interested, but the reason I'm considering waiting is to get the benefit of increased DR, high ISO AND the faster AF in the new body, instead of just getting AF with the same image quality. And I (think) I'd be willing to wait a year or so for the prices to fall on the next PEN if need be...

13. zucchiniboy

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    I've got the 14, 20, and Oly 45, along with the 14-42 and the 40-150. If I could pick one lens to round it out, it would be a 100mm f/2. I have a legacy Nikon 105mm f/2.5 that I can use now, but manual focus at that focal length with the shallow f/2.5 has proven to be...challenging (especially with the E-P1).

14. zucchiniboy

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    1. Umbrella
    2. Neither
    3. Apples

15. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    :smile:Get both.

16. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Or get neither, and spend the money on tuition instead.

If you want to improve your photography, tuition is a lot more cost-effective than buying yet more equipment.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes it does. The OP is coming from an E-P1, not an E-PL2 or something. :)

Well, I have two thoughts on that matter... one, the 75mm/1.8 will not get you that far from a 100mm/2. I agree though, that I would rather have seen it as a 100mm/2 instead. ;)

Second thought though, is that the E-P1 is probably the worse PEN for manual focusing. Not only do you not have the option of a high-resolution EVF like every other PEN, but the LCD resolution is even half that of the current PENs. So yes, upgrading your body will make manual focus lenses much more effective to use. Especially if you add a VF-2.

So maybe instead of waiting for the 75mm/1.8, how about just getting a VF-2 and E-PM1 or E-PL2, and use that with your Nikkor 105mm f/2.5? Those bodies are both affordable, have good LCDs plus VF-2 compatibility, and still deliver the PEN line's best sharp image quality (a marked improvement over your E-P1). Then you can use them here and now, not down the road.

18. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    If it were me..

I'd sell your EP-1, get an EPM1 and get the 75mm since it's pretty close to the 200/F2 you desire. There is no indication that least for a year that anything longer then 75mm is gonna come in a fast aperature so if that whats your desire it's as good as it gets for now.

Best of both worlds for now and then see what the next gen's PENs will become in about 6 months time and make a choice if the OM-D the PEN 4's are what meets your needs. The EPM1 with the 14mm will always be nice small form factor that's pocketable if you have a jacket etc. should you get a OM-D later with a 45mm for portrait work later if you don't like what the 4th gen PEN develop into.

The EPM-1 will give you much better IQ and much faster focus then you have right now.

19. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    No, the E-P3 has the same sensor overall as the E-P1, and delivers nigh-identical dynamic range and ISO performance, barring some small, incremental. It may have better JPEG handling, but for the RAW shooter, one won't see noticeable increases. And if one is a JPEG shooter, then shooting RAW and spending the upgrade money on software like Lightroom (which makes handling RAW files faster than a stock computer handling JPEGs) will give superior results, along with a host of other bonuses (nondestructive editing, tagging, output options, etc). The E-P3 has slightly better color, much increased handling speed, and viewfinder capabilities, which may be of interest, but it's still the same sensor for the most part. Which isn't a bad thing, as I still use my G2 nearly every day, but it is something to be aware of.

20. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    In your opinion how is tuition more cost effective then gear? Even if the 75mm cost $1000 and the body another $700 how far will that go with tuition costs?