1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Savannakhet, Laos

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by BlairMacKay, Mar 18, 2010.

1. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Savannakhet (Savan) is one of the largest cities in Laos. It was held in high regard by the French during colonial time as a trading post with Thailand. The city has a certain charm and is best veiwed by walking the uncrowded streets or having coffee in the local cafes.

Savan was our favourite city in Laos by far. The crumbling French architecture is beautiful, the people are friendly and the city is super relaxed. The sounds of petang (bochi ball) can be heard all over town. Getting lost in the streets or drinking a coconut on the Mekong were our favourite ways of enjoying Savan.

French building
    P1090037.

Centre Square
    P1090040.

Street
    P1090048.

Street
    P1090045.

Gov't Building
    P1090073.

Tuk-Tuk
    P1090104.

Signage
    P1090107.

Monks
    P1090141.

Breaking coconuts
    P1090145.

Marina at a cafe
    P1090167-2.

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome and appreciated!

• Like Like x 3
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Blair, thank you so much for continuing to show your fascinating trip photos... This does sound like a wonderful city with so much history, as well as the more relaxed and uncrowded atmosphere and these great sights you've shared here.

I particularly find your color photographs to be really enjoyable. Naturally these are only my own reactions. The colors of the objects, buildings, etc., in them give the images more impact...and, for me, they also engage me much more in the scenes themselves and give me a feeling of being there through your eyes. I really can't say which is my "favorite" because I enjoy looking at them all. There's always a certain extra pull when I see monks in their saffron robes...and there's no denying that that little girl who was looking right at you as her father (?) was cutting open the coconuts is awfully cute!

Many thanks, Blair!

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I agree with BB Blair, your colour images have a much stronger 'presence' and draw my attention into the scene.

Thank you so much for sharing your adventures with us here!

Cheers

Brian

4. BlairMacKay

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Thanks guys! My orignal plan was to have to whole set in B&W but once I saw the pictures on the big screen I decided to keep most of them in color. The blues and reds on the streets really stick out.

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Blair the colors really are such a huge part of those images. Not having been where you've been, I can't comment on reality...but sometimes the real thing just craves the reality of color. I love a great black and white photograph, don't get me wrong but those scenes that we saw of yours in color made me feel as though I were there. To my mind that's a pretty good thing.

6. BlairMacKay

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Thanks, it was a great spot to take pictures. There was no traffic and the spot just felt timeless.e

• Like Like x 1