Sauvie Island with the 100-300 mm

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by tdekany, Mar 11, 2013.

1. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Thanks you for these photos. I have the OMD and am considering the 100-300mm lens. These are all great with regards to composition and color, a very scenic area.

I assume you shot these handheld, not on a tripod. I looked at the original size on the flicker account and see that they are not tack sharp, there is some camera movement. That is going to happen with 1/100 or 1/200ss and a lens of this size. Were these shot with the IBIS or the OIS on?

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thank you.

I believe I used OIS. Hand held, and unfortunately it is me. For some reason I am not very stable when taking pictures and when it comes to this lens, it really shows.

But look how well this lens can do. Someone posted this image on this forum not long ago

8530099038_0ccf3b157d_b.
    Fernando Alonso - Ferrari F138 by Luis Pérez Contreras, on Flickr

3. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    I am looking at your photos with a critical eye, more so to see how the lens performs. So don't think minor camera shake is just limited to you. :smile: The old rule of 1/the focal length for ss applies as a minimum for everybody. I find I need to double that with long lenses. My 300mm f/4 Nikkor I usually shoot at 1/500 or greater if I can, if I can't then out comes the tripod or monopod. Yes image stabilization helps, but on longer/heavier lenses, like the 100-300mm, it is difficult nonetheless.

One thing you might try is to increase the ISO to bring the shutter speed up. The photos I checked of yours were all at ISO 200. With the OMD, you could go to ISO 400 in daylight or even ISO 800, and then the ss would be in the 1/400 and up range. Plus, the higher f stop will increase the depth of field and make the photos sharper throughout (to about f/11 or so, from what I have read about this lens) Photo #6 (snow mountain with boat turning) was at 1/800 ss and f/8. To me, it was the sharpest of the lot, look at the trees beyond the field.

Take photo #4, (sheep closeup) for example. Very well exposed overall. It is 1/100 ss at ISO 200. Very difficult to get sharp hand held with that ss though. Changing the ISO to 800 (2 stops) would mean the ss also needs to increase 2 stops to 1/400. Dropping the f/stop to f/4 (almost 1 more stop) would have doubled the ss to 1/800, virtually assuring a tack sharp photo without affecting the overall exposure.

*Edit* Have read here that using the OMD camera IBIS may be better than using the lenses OIS. My only lens with OIS is automatically turned off by the camera, so I can't compare.

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks for all that info and agree 100%. On this particular trip, my wife's idea was to get some exercise. While she is very supportive of me 'taking pictures', I hate for her to stop every second to wait for me while I setup for a shot. So I put the dial to "P" to save time that day, while forgetting that the iso was at 200. Live and learn.

As far as this lens, I'd say (as much as I love this lens because I can reach with it) it is not sharp enough. Not if I compare it to the big guns, if you will, that I see on fred miranda's landscape forum. BUT, this lens is $400 only, so in fact I now have to change my opinion and say, for the price, it is a very good lens.:biggrin:

5. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
  6. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Sauvie Island is a beautiful spot. You really got some nice pics there. I like how you made use of the compression factor in the mountain shots. This is a case where you used the focal length to it's advantage. It's cool to see because I don't normally shoot from that focal length range. I don't mind the small amount of motion blur at all. Don't think it detracts one bit from your images. I think people get too caught up in the sharpness of images. Beautiful color and composition makes up for any lack of sharpness here.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Just noticed this part of your reply - I have tried to shoot both ways, and after a limited comparo, I think OIS may work better at the long end. But, I have a feeling someone else could turn around and find the opposite to be true. That day I decided on OIS.

8. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Yes, setting on P is taking a gamble. For this lens, if shooting on the run, I think I would set shutter speed at 1/400 and let it figure out the aperture. Many of your other 100-300mm photos are very sharp, beside those in the above link, I just looked at the set for Tillamook Beach, very nice. I am impressed by the color and contrast with this lens.

Thanks for posting your photos. You are responsible for me ordering this lens today. :2thumbs:

I think for the money this lens is a great buy. Heck, the 200-400 Nikon is almost 7 grand. This is why I love M43.....

Oh and to the comment in post 7, I was trying to determine WHY the photos were just a tad bit soft. It the OP had come back and said all of these were locked down on a sturdy tripod, then I most likely would not have ordered this lens, as it would indicate a softness. Being handheld, these were excellent and other examples found today and provided by the OP indicate this lens is pretty darn sharp for what it offers.

9. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thank you very much for your very kind reply. To be honest, for most of the day, I wished I had my dream zooms, the 12-35 and the 35-100 :biggrin: but in the end, my wife was happy with the results (composition and PP work) and that is what matters to me.:2thumbs: Once I create a set on flickr, she will look at each pictures once, gives me her opinion and that is the end of it. After that, it is just me going back to the pictures and look at them in the future. :biggrin:

10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I hope you will enjoy your lens as much as I do. :2thumbs:

Tillamook I used A and/or M I believe.

Next time, I will take your suggestion and use that setting.

Thanks!!!!!!

11. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon