Saturday Morning Coffee Time with the E-M5

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by TDP, May 26, 2012.

1. TDP

TDP Guest

2. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    That is one interesting coffee brewing set up! What is it? From the last photo I assume you roast your own beans? I have tried but cannot get as good of results as the coffee roaster we use from New Orleans.
  3. TDP

TDP Guest

It is the vacuum method of brewing. The resulting cup is between French Press and Chemex style.

I've been roasting for 12 years, small batch stuff only. When I started it was impossible to get quality, fresh roasted coffee where I had just moved to so I turned to home roasting. Been doing it ever since.

I have a Rancilio Silvia, Rancilio Rocky, a vacuum syphon, a chemex style (but uses cloth) and an ice drip coffee maker that is about 2 feet tall :)
  4. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    What an amazing set of images, I was totally blown away. In all honesty, and if you are at all interested, the final image, of the coffee containers, was a bit of a buzz kill. It sort of took away the mystique of the coffee making equiptment. IMHO. I really enjoyed the series.

5. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Haven't seen one of those in a while, but I used to enjoy getting a vacuum syphon if i wasn't in a hurry. There was a place by where I was working in Jakarta that used to make a pretty good kopi luwak in one of those. Good stuff.

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using Tapatalk 2
  6. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    And I thought we were coffee affectinados with our capresso machine. ( I do like French press but never makes enough for us) You take coffee to a whole new level! LOVE the photos BTW!
  7. timein

timein Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    K cups here- but really like the photos.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. TDP

TDP Guest

Thanks for the advise, I is now removed.
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I'll have a cup please - thanks! :smile:
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Great images. Would love to try that coffee :)
  11. TDP

TDP Guest

Ha! Cool. I will take/post some more coffee shots in the future. Maybe we need a coffee specific thread?
  12. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

When I first saw the first image ...

I wandered if you might be cooking something else up. But I knew better.

Have you tried mesquite roasted beans? There's some guy out here in Tejas who roasts small batches in a little basket over mesquite coals and markets the stuff. They say its pretty good but I have not tried it. Have to get me one of those little baskets cause I got plenty of mesquite wood laying around. :biggrin:
  13. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Uh, I think you just started one. :biggrin:
  14. TDP

TDP Guest

15. TDP

TDP Guest

16. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Chemex FTW!

I've always considered getting a brewer, but didn't know how difficult it would be to do- no I think I'll have to pull the trigger. I do love me some coffee.
  17. TDP

TDP Guest

A Chemex or that style of making coffee is very easy. Grind your beans somewhere between Espresso and Drip, put them in the cloth or paper basket, boil water then let it cool for a few seconds then slowly pour the water into the coffee in a circular type motion keeping all the area of the coffee wet. Dump the grinds, pour the coffee and drink it.

I use a cloth filter. Some people say that the paper ones leave an aftertaste and they rinse the paper filter a bit before the use it. Also if you want to get technical with the hot water you can use a thermometer, once the water cools down to 88-92 or so then pour.
  18. TDP

TDP Guest

19. Thanks for the image set. Morning ritual of dosing, grinding and pulling at least a couple shots is a nice way to start another day.
    Similar situation regarding sourcing quality fresh roasted coffee. Home roaster since the late 90's. What type of roaster are currently using? My roasting table looks like a museum collection of home roasters. All but the Gene cafe in some state of disrepair. Thinking biting the bullet and spending the big$s on a Quest M3.

Macap MXK grinder. Went retro with the espresso hardware. Lever machines (Elektra MCaL & Ponte Vecchio 2) require significantly less maintenance cost & time vs. the old E61 vibe pumper.
  20. TDP

TDP Guest

I've been trying to find a La Pavoni manual pull for years now, no one seems to sell them in the country I live in. Oh well one day. My Silvia is an early model that has never given me a bit of trouble so I can't complain.

My roaster is an i roast 2 which I plan to replace when it dies. I think it is about 7 years old now and still going strong so who knows when it will bite the bullet.