1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Saturday in the Park

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by hathi, Jun 18, 2011.

1. hathi

hathi Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Philadelphia PA USA
    Here are a few shots from the Japanese teahouse and arboretum at Fairmount Park in Philadelphia. I continue to be impressed by this camera.

A leaf in a fountain

Reading spot

Beautiful Construction

From the Pond

All taken with GF2 and kit zoom. Comments and suggestions welcome. Total noob over here.

• Like Like x 11
  2. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    For a "total noob" you sure have a nice eye.

#1 really grabs me.

Thanks for sharing these. Keep it up!

-Steve

3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hello and welcome Hathi. I've never seen pictures from a GF2 before and these have very nice colour.

I agree with Steve. No.1 grabs my eye and pulls it into the swirl. An image which creates action.

thanks for sharing.

icon

4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Welcome! Looks like you're putting your new camera to good use. You have a good eye.

I'm impressed with the colors, especially the second shot. From the location of the shadows, it looks like it was taken smack dab in the afternoon, when the lighting is the harshest. And yet it still looks very vibrant. :thumbup:

5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    You have a very good eye for composition.

The GF2 is in quite capable hands...

I especially like #1, and #3. Very very nice post!

6. drp

drp Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Virginia, USA
    David
    I agree with all of the above.

Thanks.

David

7. hathi

hathi Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Philadelphia PA USA
    Humble thanks to all. For your compliments and all of the information I have leeched up to this point from the forums.

The leaf distorted by the surface of the water is my favorite from the day. Though I must admit I took a lot of those and only posted the best. The color fringing on the leading (red) and trailing edges (blue) is totally out there and is something I didn't see with my eye.

As to colors, I have been doing raw conversions with a trial version of Aperture for Mac OS X. The colors from the camera are not as dynamic, but the jpegs do tend to have nice contrast. Does Aperture use the same raw conversion engine as Preview? I'd like to save some bread for a pancake lens and don't do much other than crop and adjust exposure and white balance/color saturation. When I save a raw conversion from Preview, before any edits are made, it looks identical to one produced by Aperture. Perhaps that is a matter for another post...

Best.

8. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hello again mate. When i first started playing around with photos and stuff i was stumped at why my images didn't look as sharp in preview as they do in Aperture. But i found out that Preview is a quick and easy photo display and it doesn't show the full resolution of the image.

I've made up my own profile or preset i apply to my raw's on import and then i export the file as jpeg at full quality.

You're welcome to try out my preset. If you'd like shoot me an pm with your email address and i'll send it over.

A great way to see what changes you've added to your image is to click the 'film' strip icon on the bottom right corner. This will show you the master image and then you click it again to show the edited image. As shown here.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/5852234265/" title="Screen shot 2011-06-20 at 10.13.46 PM by iconindustries, on Flickr">https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5274/5852234265_26c738ffbe_o.png" width="596" height="347" alt="Screen shot 2011-06-20 at 10.13.46 PM"></a>

Experiment with the vibrancy and black point sliders and you'll be amazed how you raw file will transform.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/5852234457/" title="Screen shot 2011-06-20 at 10.16.12 PM by iconindustries, on Flickr">[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3009/5852234457_683aee968f_o.png" width="292" height="526" alt="Screen shot 2011-06-20 at 10.16.12 PM"></a>

Hope this helps a bit.