Satisfied so far...EPL-1..despite a couple quirks

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LookyHere, Dec 14, 2010.

1. LookyHere

LookyHere New to Mu-43

Dec 14, 2010
    Arizona
    So I'm a new guy on the block..I have a T2i that I use on occasion, but the lenses are pretty costly so I bought an E-PL1 on Ebay for $310 , no native lenses-just the body..

I am digging the legacy glass- alot of them have stories, reputations, etc...Plus it's nice to use the manual settings on the camera..I hear alot of gripes about the E-PL1 and E-P1 but I'm happy so far. My only woe is the limitation on shutter speed to 2000 and a slower burst rate..But I haven't actually had alot of issues stopping action at 800-1250. I have to say night shots are great, my old XTi couldn't deliver the same. But having a second faster camera eliminates any issues for me.

And bright sunlight with no VF-2 sucks. I think I'm going to fashion a LCD hood for the time being. So far I've only put around $550 into the deal, but I can see another $500 dropping in the toilet before everything is said and done. I'm not one to spend and arm and a leg on Zeiss lenses so the cheaper better rep lenses are my goal. I prefer manual focus by the way.

Fun so far-I can't seem to put the d*mn thing down!

So this seems to be the most active forum site that I've lurked into...But I have a qualm. I'm surprised to see that more people don't post videos of their tests, I see the same videos over and over again..And it would be nice for more sample pics of different lenses in more real world situations vs. art filters, effects, and post processing. Guess I need to put up!

I do plan to buy a GF1 or GF2 body in a couple months since I already have so much stuff for the Oly..But the lack of in body IS concerns me with the manual focus glass. I don't like the blurry shots.

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Welcome...

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Perhaps your future includes an e-P2 ?

• Like Like x 1
  4. LookyHere

LookyHere New to Mu-43

Dec 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Re:E-P2

I think the E-P2 is around the corner for me, but I'm waiting out prices.

Still waiting out the Viewfinder..Nonetheless I think my current setup is starting to grow on me.:wink:

5. DjordjeJ

DjordjeJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2009
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Wellcome. i myself bought E-PL1 because it was afordable, its easier to enble magnified view than E-P1 (which I had before) and most important ability to use great VF-2. I bought VF-2 only few weeks after E-PL1, and if You plan to shoot with MF lenses , VF-2 must be on top of your list. Yesterday I got Minolta adapter and now can use old 50 f1.7 135 f3.5 etc. It is pleasure to use.
    Since m43 has 2x crop factor, using MF lenses is OK for middle and longer focal lengths, but for wide you are in trouble. You might consider Lumix 14 f2.5 if You like primes and dont need very wide lens, or Olympus 9-18 if You want UWA lens or 7-14 which is more expensive.
    I see You have Minolta 45mm f2. Looking at samples on internet I see it is good lens. Buy m43-MD adapter and see how it works for You.
    Most SLR 50 f1.8 or 1.4 lenses from all manufacturers are good solutions. search archive on this forum about lots of MF lenses.

6. FaradayCage

FaradayCage Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    That E-P2 is tumbling in price, and very attractive new at close to $500. I'm tempted, even though I already have an E-PL1, however I ought to spend the money on the Panny 20mm f1.7. Wish I had the 1/4000th sec shutter and metal body. OTOH I love the less aggressive anti-aliasing filter on the E-PL1.