SAS (Software Aquisition Syndrom)

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by TheMenWhoDrawSheeps, Jul 6, 2016.

1. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    Having my GAS in control, i've realized that i'm a big fat piece of Software Junkie. Counted 15 different Software pieces for either photo editing, photo manipulation, and different visualization / 3d workarounds.
    Here some examples of my work. It's either photo/Collage or rendering+photo.

Now, some of my soft feels outdated, i would like to find some Alternative soft which would combine Functions.

1) editing.
    Capture 1 pro - my main reason choosing this first is it's color Management. I really don't know any other piece of Software(lying canon soft can) capable of white Balance infrared shot by 1 click.
    Contra: seems it has some color space issue On Windows - preview not always match the Output file, which is kinda annoying.

Dxo - Main reason is the ilimination of noise, haven't seen any other benefits.

Lightroom - Jack of all trades, most comfortable to use, also seems to have finer control over the luminance - despite that the final result matches two previous programs.

Photoshop cc- Main manipulation tool, not much to say here.

Topaz/nik soft - mainly final touch to give some Flair/Mood, create Details, or points of interrest, but im always open for options.
    Alienskin - bokeh
    flAir - light effects and volumetrics.
    Imagenomic - portraiture, skin work

Photomatix pro - if i start Hdr project, elsewise nik or Topaz.

Ptgui - Panorama. Wish for smth. Better - with capability of live cropping.

Zarene stacker - macro work. Wish for smth better with possibility to Export 3d.

Virtual Rig Studio - motion blur - this piece of soft is just astonishing - i would like to have something similiar for personal use.

Gosh, i'll finish the full list bit later.) need to check the whole list as i get to my working PC%)

Sent from my D5503 using Mu-43 app
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    SAS (software acquisition syndrome) means you never delete anything. Photo software caused me to add a tb of disc space. Cigar "deals" caused me to add another humidor. BOGO's caused my pantry to overflow.
    The problem is "Hot Deals". I'm a sucker for "Deals" even free "Deals", trial deals. Some I've downloaded, looked at interface, closed and never looked again not less trying them.
    Lotus 123, Wordstar, all on 5 1/4" floppy because no one had a hard drive. Finally threw them away this week along with a copy of DOS 4 and Windows before it had names or numbers, half dozen 1.44 discs.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I'm not really a SAS sort of guy, I guess I'm more of a software geek. I've never met a free trial download I didn't like! Now the software in that download is something else! But I DO love downloading something shiny and new, and feel incredibly let down when the software is the SOS.
  4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I do a lot of stills, video and music:
    Creative Cloud Photography, Vegas PRO, Movie studio Suite, Premier Elements, Acid Pro, Traction, Magix Music Maker Premium, PluralEyes, Mercalli Pro 4.0, ON1 Suite, Resolve & Fusion, Casio Data Editor for PCX-5S - use most of these at least 4 times a week.
  5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm kinda excited to see what On1's raw processing software turns out to be. I really like their stuff.
    • Agree Agree x 1