1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sarah's Vineyard

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by GaryAyala, May 25, 2012.

1. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I've been traveling quite a bit lately to Northern California. (Mary Lou's son plays soccer for SFSU - Go Gators!) We try to make the most from the trips by hitting wineries along the way. (Mary Lou has armed herself with this map of wineries ... so on route she finds wineries, then a quick Google or two and Shazam! ... we're off the freeways following the GPS speeding along California's byways.

On our last trip she discovered "Sarah's Vineyard", in Gilroy of all places. (Gilroy is the self-proclaimed Garlic Capital of the world. One can even purchase Garlic Ice Cream in Gilroy.)

My oldest daughter is named Sarah and she recently had a birthday ... so I was compelled to stop in Gilroy for some "Sarah's Vineyard" paraphernalia. As it turned out, it was a very pleasant, tasty and paraphernalia-rich stop.

P1090831.

P1090835.

P1090783-X2.

P1090788.

P1090827.

P1090803.

Gary

• Like Like x 9
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Nice to see a bit of leg in #3.

• Like Like x 1
  3. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Nice pics, Gary. I've "been through" Gilroy more than a few times but missed this gem.
    Lots' of good places in Paso Robles too. I like Tobin James on 46 East. Nice western themed tasting room.

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Nice set.

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Mmm... Garlic ice cream! Yum!

Fred

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hey Joe, this was the tail end of the swirl ... so she was crawling by the time I took the snap. A surprisingly good Pinot.

G

P1090814.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Gotta have that winery map ... Sarah's has live music every weekend in summer ... so possibly a double-treat.

Paso is great, and right up the street from you ... but it seems that Paso is turning into another Napa, bowing to commercialization. I've even have glasses from the Hitching Post (ala the movie Sideways).

You need to try the Wine Ghetto in Lompoc (up there with Gilroy on the places to visit list). But, there is a bunch of wine tasting rooms all in a warehouse/commercial type area. Unpretentious, but terribly good wines. No driving from vineyard to vineyard, (always better to stumble between tastings than drive).

P1090790-X2.

Gary

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yeah, lol. Gilroy also has a Garlic Festival. I did buy a string of garlic in Gilroy on the way home. In summer, when one gets off the freeway (say to refuel), one can smell the garlic the moment the door is opened. It even overpowers the smell of gasoline.

Gary

PS- on the plus side ... no vampires in Gilroy.
    G

P1090809-L.

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks Djarum. Just having some fun.

P1090797.

G

10. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wine?

Since I don't like wine I'd stop off at another place in Gilroy 'cause they got some goofy trees over there ...

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgfH2xz51EM]THE BASKET TREE - YouTube[/ame]

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hey, like one of those Huell Howser California Gold segments. The one I saw had this mini-forrest of grafted trees. Didn't realize this was in Gilroy.

Gary

P1090773.