Santa brought me a Retina display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mievil, Dec 26, 2013.

1. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    I just got a new laptop since the led backlight apparently caught fire in my last one..... So I put the new images from yesterday on the Mac and really just tweaked minor settings in iPhoto (contrast, crop). Picture looked beautiful, so I threw it up on Facebook and it looked like it was shot from a smartphone. Now, I know there is a quality loss uploading to social media sites. But I guess I never noticed it before using my $350 Acer.

I did open up the secondary house laptop to look at the image and I felt it still didn't look as nice as I felt it should. Obviously, I would expect things to look awesome on this display, but I wasn't expecting them to look poor on a different system. I never had that feeling before editing on my old laptop. I got the image to look how I wanted it, and when uploading, it still looked like it did originally.

So..... what gives? Do you guys with Macs just get stuff to how it looks good on your device, or do you have to tailor it to look good on the devices most other people are using?
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Check the color profile - Facebook screws up the color profile during upload. All my files - tagged and sRGB properly embedded, either using Lightroom, Photoshop or DxO Optics Pro, which work great on Flickr - looked lousy on Facebook. Downloaded them to my Hard drive to check, and yep, still bad. The ICC color profile got stripped.

This was in the summer, do t know if they've fixed it yet. For now, I upload to Flickr and share the album on my timeline if necessary.

Short version: Facebook sucks at color management.

To be clear: I'm on a Mac.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Same problem here once I got my Retina, it shows up pictures you thought once were ok.

Arn't they Incredible. To feel the full impact of the Retina, I found after using it for a few days and then going back to my old screen I kept rubbing my eyes trying to get a clear picture.

I had the same problem with my FB images looking worse. In my case the problem was that for some reason Aperture was exporting my images at 72dpi. I never noticed on my old screen but the retina showed it up. I changed it to 300dpi and the images improved big time.
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm on Windows with an AOC LED TV monitor, and no matter what I do with sRGB output from Photoshop/Picasa, they end up looking noticeably worse after upload to Facebook - for really sharp, high-detail images, the resulting JPEG artifacts are often so coarse as to obliterate most of the detail. Flickr/G+ were fine. I think Facebook compression is just bad...
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Just for the record, whether something is at 72 dpi or 300 dpi should have zero, nada, zip impact on what they look like if the number of pixels remains the same. I export based on pixel size - the only thing that really makes sense - not a dimension in cm or inches. The dpi setting is nothing more than a tag in the EXIF file, and only relevant in a limited set of situations relating to printing (and even then, the number of DPI should drive your choice of resolution and sharpening algorithms for a specific print size).

Facebook's compression is bad, and its color management is terrible.
  6. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    So true. It almost seems like they soften good sharp pix so they look as crappy as the cellphone pix.

There are numerous tutorials for optimum results but what seems to work for me is small and heavily compressed then Facebook seems to do less damage.
  7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Same here, I am Mac based and my FB pictures look like my iPhone pics. I am not a huge fan of FB so I don't worry about it.