1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sanho Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA 3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mcasan, May 29, 2016.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Typo: It should have been Sanho, not Sanyo.

Anyone used one of these devices to collect or backup images during a long trip?

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I have a WD My Passport wireless. Basically a hard drive with an SD card reader, battery and built in wifi spot. Works decently, if a bit slowly, but it's an easy way to back up your SD cards. Works on its own, and you can browse using a tablet or phone.

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I have the UDMA 2, which I think is more or less the same thing. I wouldn't say our relationship is love/hate but it is definitely like/dislike:

• It's specialized for backing up photos and it does an excellent, friction-free job. My practice is to rotate through 6-8 SD cards on a daily basis. I have one folder on the Colorspace for each SD card. Every night I pull the SD card(s) out of the camera(s) and back up. It's a simple process and the Colorspace knows what photos it already has so it backs up only the new stuff. I then put the day's SD card(s) in the SD wallet and put the next one(s) in the camera(s).
    • The battery is user-replaceable, so you could theoretically carry a charged spare. On 3 week trips, though, using it only for backup I never need to recharge it.
    • The drive is user replaceable. I have a 320GB which is more than enough, so it will probably get replaced only for death or disability.
    Dislike
    • It's pretty big and fairly heavy. About the size of my GX7 but a little longer. The internal technology is probably pretty old and bulky.
    • It comes with a large and heavy power supply. I made a cable, though, that lets me charge from a standard 2 amp USB power supply which I am already carrying for phones and tablets.
    • The screen is not touch (old technology again). This is not a big deal but I often poke at it because I am so used to devices being touch these days. Mild annoyance.
    Don't Care
    • I bought mine on eBay, got it cheap because the WiFi adapter was not included. So what? It cables to my computer if I need to hook it up. I see no reason that I would want to use WiFi
    • It advertises itself as a photo viewer. Again, so what? The LCDs on my cameras are just as good, maybe better, and I don't cull my photos while traveling. So I never use it as a viewer. It probably uses significant battery juice when viewing, too. I don't know.
    There was a long thread a while back with people talking about portable hard drives and other more general purpose storage. You should probably read it. I think in all cases it was necessary for the user to do some gyrations in order to get a backup without dupes. That's the nice thing about this device, it just fulfills its purpose with almost zero user involvement.

Costwise these things used to be pretty expensive, like $300 and more. I now see them on eBay at a more reasonable price, like $100-150 depending on model. Somewhere (maybe the mfg. site) I have seen a comparison of the models' features. IIRC the UDMA 2 was a significant step up from the original UDMA. Not sure about the UDMA 3.

Edit: If you're buying a used one, the seller can go to Settings/HDD/S.M.A.R.T Info and give you the "Power on hours" for the disk drive. IIRC mine originally had 3 or 4 hours; it now indicates 6. Trivial compared to disk lifetime.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Pretty much agree with Oldracer - I have it, it works, it's not exciting.

Oldracer - can you give more info about your custom charging cable? That would be very interesting to me.

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I don't specifically remember making it but its simply a good quality USB-A charging cable (Anker 28/21 or Powerline, or Monoprice 28/24 or 30/20) with the micro-usb end clipped off and the power wires soldered to the correct size EIAJ plug (EIAJ connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I probably bought the plug from the dear-departed Radio Shack or bought a Philmore plug somewhere on the internet. You'll have to measure the plug on your charger to get the right size. I am traveling and away from my shop and measuring tools.

If you make one, pay close attention to anchoring and strain relief on the EIAJ end. I often fill the connector body with epoxy glue after I test the cable. Mine also has shrink wrap over the body and back a couple of inches on the cable to provide strain relief and prevent kinking at the connector.

6. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    [... I don't specifically remember making it but its simply a good quality USB-A charging cable ...]

Thanks.