Sanho Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA 3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mcasan, May 29, 2016.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Typo: It should have been Sanho, not Sanyo.

Anyone used one of these devices to collect or backup images during a long trip?

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I have a WD My Passport wireless. Basically a hard drive with an SD card reader, battery and built in wifi spot. Works decently, if a bit slowly, but it's an easy way to back up your SD cards. Works on its own, and you can browse using a tablet or phone.

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I have the UDMA 2, which I think is more or less the same thing. I wouldn't say our relationship is love/hate but it is definitely like/dislike:

• It's specialized for backing up photos and it does an excellent, friction-free job. My practice is to rotate through 6-8 SD cards on a daily basis. I have one folder on the Colorspace for each SD card. Every night I pull the SD card(s) out of the camera(s) and back up. It's a simple process and the Colorspace knows what photos it already has so it backs up only the new stuff. I then put the day's SD card(s) in the SD wallet and put the next one(s) in the camera(s).
    • The battery is user-replaceable, so you could theoretically carry a charged spare. On 3 week trips, though, using it only for backup I never need to recharge it.
    • The drive is user replaceable. I have a 320GB which is more than enough, so it will probably get replaced only for death or disability.
    Dislike
    • It's pretty big and fairly heavy. About the size of my GX7 but a little longer. The internal technology is probably pretty old and bulky.
    • It comes with a large and heavy power supply. I made a cable, though, that lets me charge from a standard 2 amp USB power supply which I am already carrying for phones and tablets.
    • The screen is not touch (old technology again). This is not a big deal but I often poke at it because I am so used to devices being touch these days. Mild annoyance.
    Don't Care
    • I bought mine on eBay, got it cheap because the WiFi adapter was not included. So what? It cables to my computer if I need to hook it up. I see no reason that I would want to use WiFi
    • It advertises itself as a photo viewer. Again, so what? The LCDs on my cameras are just as good, maybe better, and I don't cull my photos while traveling. So I never use it as a viewer. It probably uses significant battery juice when viewing, too. I don't know.
    There was a long thread a while back with people talking about portable hard drives and other more general purpose storage. You should probably read it. I think in all cases it was necessary for the user to do some gyrations in order to get a backup without dupes. That's the nice thing about this device, it just fulfills its purpose with almost zero user involvement.

Costwise these things used to be pretty expensive, like $300 and more. I now see them on eBay at a more reasonable price, like $100-150 depending on model. Somewhere (maybe the mfg. site) I have seen a comparison of the models' features. IIRC the UDMA 2 was a significant step up from the original UDMA. Not sure about the UDMA 3.

Edit: If you're buying a used one, the seller can go to Settings/HDD/S.M.A.R.T Info and give you the "Power on hours" for the disk drive. IIRC mine originally had 3 or 4 hours; it now indicates 6. Trivial compared to disk lifetime.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The Bassman
    Pretty much agree with Oldracer - I have it, it works, it's not exciting.

Oldracer - can you give more info about your custom charging cable? That would be very interesting to me.

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I don't specifically remember making it but its simply a good quality USB-A charging cable (Anker 28/21 or Powerline, or Monoprice 28/24 or 30/20) with the micro-usb end clipped off and the power wires soldered to the correct size EIAJ plug (EIAJ connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I probably bought the plug from the dear-departed Radio Shack or bought a Philmore plug somewhere on the internet. You'll have to measure the plug on your charger to get the right size. I am traveling and away from my shop and measuring tools.

If you make one, pay close attention to anchoring and strain relief on the EIAJ end. I often fill the connector body with epoxy glue after I test the cable. Mine also has shrink wrap over the body and back a couple of inches on the cable to provide strain relief and prevent kinking at the connector.

6. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The Bassman
    [... I don't specifically remember making it but its simply a good quality USB-A charging cable ...]

Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.