SanDisk Connect Wireless Media Drive - anyone used it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nstelemark, Nov 22, 2015.

1. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I'm going to travel without my computer or a large ipad and since apple feels there is no need for the camera connect kit with the iPhone 6Plus??!?? I'd really like some way to backup my SD cards. I realize my E-M1 will do this but it is pretty glacial. The Sandisk device looks like the ticket assuming it works well. Anyone used it?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

The capacity of those seems rather limited.

There's a long thread from 3 months ago at: Solutions for SD-card backup while traveling without a Laptop? and I believe there are some older threads here as well discussing these things.
    Beware that some only copy JPEGs, no RAW and maybe no videos; also most require a phone to operate over WiFi.

I haven't tried any of these, but see also:

WD 1TB My Passport Wireless Portable External Hard Drive http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M9B3XZM/
    (supposedly offers 1-button SD-card backup, including RAW+JPEG files iirc and hopefully videos)

Kingston Digital MobileLite Wireless Flash Reader G2 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OYG3CWO/
    Kingston Digital 5-in-1 Mobile Companion http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KU2E9IW/
    I'm not sure which is newer, but both supposedly allow backups from SD to any USB stick.

Barry

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I posted heavily in the thread from 3 months ago. I still back up, both RAW and JPEG, to iCloud via my iPad. It works well as long as you keep enough open space on your iPad/iPhone. My problem is videos, I would like to download video and audio clips, usually about 34GB's at a time. I have downloaded ~ 34GB's at a time but it takes forever to reclaim the the space on an iPad once you copy the files and delete the files from iCloud; I believe that the problem is that iCloud keeps recently deleted files for 30 days in case you want to recover a deleted item. I was actually looking at the Hyperdrive ColorSpace UDMA3 this morning but it looks like there is a 4GB size limit for videos. If you are just downloading stills, the Hyperdrive ColorSpace would be a good option as it has a built in reader. I am unclear whether you can download from a SD card to your SanDisk.

Edit/Post-Script: I just watched a SanDisk video and you can download from a SD card. Not sure about RAW or video clips though.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  4. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    FWIW - I contacted SanDisk support and they confirmed that RAW and video files > 4GB on SDXC can transfer to the Media Drive. He caution that those downloads will take time. He could not answer when the USB 3.0 version will be out but since the 64GB USB 2.0 version is now listed as discontinued at B&H my guess is that it will be soon.

5. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    If I had a large iPad (storage) I would just take that and use it as a backup. I've done that before and it works OK. I am now iPadless and the 6Plus while it has a large enough storage does not support direct SD card uploads which is just a PITA.

The SANdisk unit has the direct SD card upload and sharing which is nice. The other win is the ability to copy the files out to another SD card for redundancy.

It is super small as well.

The WD passport with the SD slot looks good but there are mixed reviews.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The iPad suffers from a small storage capacity. Even with 128GB I find that I have to consciously delete content if I am planning on downloading video or a large number of RAW files. The SanDisk does look nice both for its price and size. I think that I will pick one up. I have been trying to avoid carrying a laptop and external drive.

7. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    I am thinking of giving it a try too. It takes an SD card and is small and expandable. The WiFi sharing is really just a bonus.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    If you read the reviews there is a problem with it streaming from an iTunes library with the later iOS's. The problem makes up almost the entirety of the negative reviews. Since that is not how I plan on using the drive, it is a major problem.

9. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Errr is how or is not how - there was a double negative.

Playing iTunes content on the Wireless Media Drive
    How do I play iTunes content on the SanDisk Connect Wireless Media Drive?
    NOTE: The SanDisk Wireless Media Drive and Wireless Flash Drive support streaming of DRM protected iTunes purchased movie content to authorized devices in iOS 6 and iOS 7. The DRM protected content is opened in Safari where the DRM is decrypted and the video is played.

In iOS 8 and higher Apple has disbled Safari based DRM decryption. Therefore DRM protected content, i.e. purchased movies or TV shows from iTunes, cannot be streamed from the Media Drive/WFD.

I doubt I will ever do this personally.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, the problem is that SanDisk is still advertising that the Media Drive can stream from iTunes without making it clear that this does not work with the current iOS. The net effect will be the same for me because the Media Drive will free up 64GB on my iPad to download content.

11. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    The wireless streaming of DRM'd content is not something I would do. I have very little of this fortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    FYI - this is the email reply I received to my questions:

Dear David,
    Thank you for contacting SanDisk Global Customer Care. We really appreciate your concern and it is our goal to make sure that your query is resolved so that you can enjoy using your SanDisk product.
    We would like to inform you about the queries you have regarding the SanDisk Connect Wireless Media Drive:
    - Can the SanDisk Connect Wireless Media Drive download and store RAW images? If so, is that at full resolution?
    Yes you can download and store RAW images or any other file format like .jpg etc on the SanDisk Connect Wireless Media Drive and also the resolution of the RAW image will not be affected.
    - Can the drive download and store audio and video clips, if so video clips > 4GB?
    Yes you can transfer files above 4GB if you transfer files directly to the SanDisk Connect Media Drive however if you transfer file from internal to external memory ot vice versa due to the FAT32 limitation you cannot transfer files above 3.99GB.
    Please reply to this email should you require further assistance. We are glad to help!
    Best regards,
    SanDisk Global Customer Care

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I guess the next question is does it support larger than 4gb files with EXFAT usb drives.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  14. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    That is a good question.