Sandisk 64GB microsd for $80.

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
Looks like Adorama also has the 64gb sdxc ultra for the same price - pretty good for both, gotta admit the thought of putting a 64gb card in my phone and using my eye-fi card for travel storage is pretty appealing (you can transfer from eye-fi to an iphone/ipod/ipad or an android phone)!

D@ne

Mu-43 Top Veteran
now that the 95mb/s cards have been released, it seems many of the slower cards are dropping in price. for nerds like me though, that only means I want the uber-fast card, so the sale prices mean nothing.

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
now that the 95mb/s cards have been released, it seems many of the slower cards are dropping in price. for nerds like me though, that only means I want the uber-fast card, so the sale prices mean nothing.

Whats the point of getting a massively fast card when there isn't a camera out there that really takes advantage? Heck, you can't even find a reader that would take advantage of it. Even if it allowed you to get say 40 raw at max FPS over 30 (random numbers), would it be worth several $100s instead of several $20s?

D@ne

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Whats the point of getting a massively fast card when there isn't a camera out there that really takes advantage? Heck, you can't even find a reader that would take advantage of it. Even if it allowed you to get say 40 raw at max FPS over 30 (random numbers), would it be worth several $100s instead of several $20s?

Companies like Sandisk are offering the 95mb/s cards at the same price as their predecessors...which means 8gb cards for around $60-70. I have no use, personally, for a 32 or 64gb card. Even if a camera itself can't take advantage of it, usb3.0 card readers surely can.

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
Even if a camera itself can't take advantage of it, usb3.0 card readers surely can.

The reader might yes, but then what about your hard drive? I've got 3, and they all vary in speed, but none would take advantage of the write speed (reading from the SD), unless you're running a massive SSD for storage, which would be extremely cost prohibitive at the moment!

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'd rather use 4 16 GB cards than 1 64GB card, unless you're using the 64 gig card as backup storage. If all your vacation pics are on one card, and it fails.... But if you've swapped cards every day, and one fails, you've still got most of your images.

One of these would make a great storage card for a tablet, though (except, of course, for the iPad, since Apple doesn't think you deserve the ability to upgrade storage yourself).

And yes, cards do fail. I've had a Sandisk SD and a Sandisk CF die on me

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
The way I do it currently is to use either 8gb or 16gb cards and daily download to a HD when traveling. With a 64gb card as the secondary storage I could forego the harddrive on trips, that'd be on less thing to bring!

Even better, have the 64gb card in my phone, use my eye-fi card to upload to the phone during the day, which would then upload to a tablet (been thinking about replacing my hp touchpad with a dell streak or lenovo a1) with another 64gb card in it (which would then be double stored until returning home, where I could clear out the cards). that would also replace having to take a small laptop (dell/alienware m11x usually travels with us).

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The way I do it currently is to use either 8gb or 16gb cards and daily download to a HD when traveling. With a 64gb card as the secondary storage I could forego the harddrive on trips, that'd be on less thing to bring!

Are there any decent solutions to copy from one SD card to another without a laptop or tablet? I'd just as soon not lug my laptop with me on my next vacation, but I'm going to be gone quite a while and don't like the idea of not being able to back up my files.

D@ne

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The reader might yes, but then what about your hard drive? I've got 3, and they all vary in speed, but none would take advantage of the write speed (reading from the SD), unless you're running a massive SSD for storage, which would be extremely cost prohibitive at the moment!

Agreed, ssd drives at the moment are fairly cost prohibitive for large stogare, but there are terrifically fast hybrid drives like the Momentus XT whose write speeds exceed the fastest sd cards.

Either way, technology moves extremely fast, and no doubt everything will surpass these super-fast cards at some point, so my theory is to buy (when needed), the fastest I can get (at a reasonable price) so that I'm "future-proofed" for some time.

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
It would be nice to see the hybrid drives become a bigger market segment; it seems as though manufacturers are more content to continue with the dedicated SSDs, perhaps they make a good chunk of change on their sales! I've got a 64gb crucial ssd in my alienware m11x, absolutely love the speed.

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
It would be nice to see the hybrid drives become a bigger market segment; it seems as though manufacturers are more content to continue with the dedicated SSDs, perhaps they make a good chunk of change on their sales! I've got a 64gb crucial ssd in my alienware m11x, absolutely love the speed.

I don't think it's worth it for them. With the continuing price drop in SSDs, now $1/GB, I think the days of spinning disks are numbered. For the last couple of years, I've run a 2X RAID 128GB SSD on my laptop with 512GB of spinning disk as archive storage. Seriously, most of the things that people lug around don't need to have fast access. The stuff you do, put it on a SSD.

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
128GB / 512GB is fine, but it won't do for serious storage. I can buy (and did) 3 TB of fast spinning disk for $100. How much will even 1 TB of SSD cost?

And yes, SSD will continue to get cheaper. So will disk storage. My 3 TB disk only has 3 platters. You can easily fit 5 platters in a modern 3/5" drive, so that gets you to 5 TB, and technologies exist that will double or triple that in a few years.

Digital photo files keep getting bigger, video files keep getting bigger, we all download more and more music. I remember when I had two 300 MB (yes, MB) hard disks in a PC, and wondered how I'd ever fill up all that storage. People have been predicting the end of magnetic hard disks for at least a decade. I don't seem them going away any time soon.

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
That is totally why the hybrid drives make sense - at the same time running a traditional harddrive (or several) in tandem with a 128 or 256 SSD for your main computing needs also makes sense, but isn't necessarily an easy task to setup for everyone, hence the bigger potential market for hybrids.

Latest threads

Top Bottom