SanDisk 256GB SSD for $99.99 at Amazon

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
I bought a 128gb Sandisk a while back and still have not installed it. Can you say, load it on a desktop w/Win 7 64 and clone it then install it on a laptop or will that cause issues w/hardware conflicts? Desktop is home built PC, Laptop is 5yr old Compaq running Vista 64. I know HP/Compaq are very difficult to change motherboards on due to tattooing, but not sure about HD's.

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
I bought a 128gb Sandisk a while back and still have not installed it. Can you say, load it on a desktop w/Win 7 64 and clone it then install it on a laptop or will that cause issues w/hardware conflicts? Desktop is home built PC, Laptop is 5yr old Compaq running Vista 64. I know HP/Compaq are very difficult to change motherboards on due to tattooing, but not sure about HD's.

after a cloning attempt the first time around, I've gone with clean installs - it is just much easier without any hassles. I have installed in two laptops now and my built desktop and they are totally worth it. I keep photos on external drives to avoid having to move files down the road.

If you haven't seen a 240gb drive under $100 yet you must not go to slickdeals.net very often! At the price they are running SSDs are a no brainer these days - my first drive cost $2/gb, only 3 years ago!

HaViet

Mu-43 Veteran

I have installed around 20 SSDs on various desktops and laptops for myself, my kids, family, and friends.

ALWAYS do a clean install. Back up your data to an external drive or USB drive.

This will save you lots of headaches later on.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
I have installed around 20 SSDs on various desktops and laptops for myself, my kids, family, and friends.

ALWAYS do a clean install. Back up your data to an external drive or USB drive.

This will save you lots of headaches later on.

Thanks...I was looking for an easy way to upgrade the laptop to Win 7 and mirror my Desktop...by replacing the HD...duly noted.

D

Deleted member 16786

First go to compaq's website and download every driver they have for your model for Win 7 32 or 64 bit depending on what you plan to install. If they don't have Win
7 drivers, get Vista. Copy those to a USB key or something.

Make a Win 7 boot disk on a USB key, put the raw drive into the laptop, pop in the USB. Install windows.

Then pop in the other USB and copy over and install all drivers.

D

Deleted member 16786

BTW, $0.50 per GB are incredibly cheap SSD prices. I still have a 64 gb drive in a 3 y.o. laptop that I got a $99 deal on back then. How the times change.

jerrykur

Mu-43 Regular
I put a 480 GB SSD in my 2011 MacBook Pro this year. It is like a new machine. Boots in 10-15 seconds. Launches apps like chrome in 2 seconds.

Latest threads

Top Bottom