1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

San José del Cabo, México - Criticism and Advise Please

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by jtibau, Jul 25, 2013.

1. jtibau

jtibau Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
    Javier Tibau
    Took this during a conference in San José this week. I'll try to ask a few questions in between if people can suggest what could have been done better. I decided to only bring my GX1 and PL25 btw.

They are all PP with Aperture 3. Mostly played with the levels a bit to add contrast. The first four were taken on a boat and therefore needed a bit of horizon adjustment and a little cropping. Really pleased with how sharped they turned out though.

20130724-jtibau-P1030057.
    ISO 160, f/4, 1/160

20130724-jtibau-P1030070.
    ISO 160, f/4, 1/100

20130724-jtibau-P1030076.
    ISO 400, f/5, 1/60
    Not sure why I closed the aperture, it was clearly darker. It's incredibly sharp though. I have auto-ISO in my camera.

[​IMG]
    This one got played with a lot more. I tried to recover the shadows and think I got a good effect. I think here is where my question comes: If this was taken on land (I'm on a boat rocking heavily so a tripod wouldn't have improved the picture here), would a longer exposure improve the effect? Something like HDR I guess... I think I'm getting the hang of shooting with the live-histogram and overexposed by 1EV get a right-sided distribution.
    ISO 160, f/5, 1/100

20130724-jtibau-P1030099.

This last one was with very dimm lighting with built-in flash. Maybe I should have taken the hood off and that's why it's darkened on the bottom-right corner. Would you crop it?

Thanks for your comments!

2. jtibau

jtibau Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
    Javier Tibau
    Bump? I guess...

Maybe I should've gone with a catchier name for the thread. So long and thanks for all the fish?

3. Can you post the images larger in the thread? Makes it easier for people to see rather than clicking through to each one.

4. jtibau

jtibau Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
    Javier Tibau
    OK, changed the OP to show medium sized pics instead of thumbnails. Thanks!

5. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    So for me I assume that you were land locked. Standing on land with your subjects out at sea (except last shot) really limits the ability to isolate a single subject. For example, in the 3rd shot you have three boats and what looks like a jet ski off in the distance. It causes my eye to jump back and forth trying to decide on a subject. My point is that your choices for composition were limited. The first shot is the cleanest of the group for me. I hope this is helpful in some way. I certainly am no expert so take my comments with a grain of salt!

6. The two images of the sailing ships are distracted by the background objects behind them, but of course in these circumstances you won't always get the opportunity to photograph them with a plain background.

I quite like the fourth image but I'm wondering how it might look if it were cropped to remove the bow of the boat on the right. Similarly I think the first would look even better if it were cropped at the top and bottom to a wider format like 16:9 or 2:1.

7. jtibau

jtibau Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
    Javier Tibau
    Hi!

I'm sorry but I didn't see your replies any sooner. I actually didn't see any notifications and so thought the thread has just died :(

For all of the shots, except the figurines, I was at sea on a catamaran. It was rocking fairly smooth and so framing the shots wasn't too bad. Unfortunately I also didn't have a telephoto lens so there was little chance for isolation, way too many boats all around.

Javier

8. jtibau

jtibau Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
    Javier Tibau
    I'll try your crop recommendations on both pics. Quite frankly I had not noticed the ship's bow on the fourth image but I think you are right.