1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

San Francisco Street Photography, 17 June

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by denis_sf, Jun 18, 2013.

1. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    Beautiful light yesterday in the city. Still getting comfortable with the OM-D. Today was a good exercise in just shooting in great light and seeing how the camera responded. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

2. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    Aw man, I realized I could/should have posted this in the 'Real Street II' thread. Apologies for the clutter. This doesn't need to be its own thread, I suspect.

Could I politely ask a Mod to add this post to that thread? Please and thanks.

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    No wrong in having its own thread, and no harm done if you put some of these in the street thread either. Nice shots mate

4. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    #6 and 7 stand out to me. Thanks for sharing.

5. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    It's amazing how clean the city looks in B&W. Stains from human defecation are indistinguishable from other stains on the side walk. Very nice set, I was down on 2nd Street yesterday and I recognize that ally in the last shot.

6. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    Very true. Thankfully smell-o-vision is not built into the OM-D, else some of those might be a bit on the fragrant side. :) It's much better now than it was in the 80s or even the 90s....If you're familiar, I was at 83 Proof prior to the last shot and shooting from inside 83 Proof for #7. Good Manhattans. :)

Thank you! They are my favorites, too, alongside the one of the girl running. Appreciate your thoughts.

7. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Nice. Good use of B&W. 2 and 3 are in front of where I work. I can't bring a camera in without a big hassle, so I never get around to shooting at lunch.

8. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I have the same problem at the building I work at as well (it's in the TL). I've been thinking of bringing a fanny pack so that I can bring a camera in and out of the building during lunch. The only downside is walking around the TL with a camera isn't exactly safe, too many crack heads.

9. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Great shots. You sure are right about "great light".

10. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    Ah, that's too bad. The Federal Reserve building is ripe for documentary/street shooting - not just for the light but with the demonstrations that crop up.

Yeah. I was disabused of the notion that walking around the TL was fine without it being dark a couple of weeks ago. Nothing bad happened (I've lived and worked in and around the city for 20+ years), but I did have an interesting conversation with a young woman at Turk and Hyde (who may or may not have been either on drugs and/or indirectly soliciting me) about what I was doing walking around with a camera.

That was my last walk with the X Pro 1 as my primary camera prior to me moving on to the OM-D. Wrote about the Tenderloin encounter here:

San Francisco Street Photography – May 22-23 | gimletsandfilm

Also, after posting that link on another forum, I was directed to this video which is a fascinating watch. Mijo, it may be old hat to you as you work/live in the neighborhood but the subject matter, while sometimes gut-wrenching and gritty, is real and honest.

Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone! I really appreciate it.

11. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I will be in S.F. after the 4th... Looking forward to walking & shooting the streets... What lenses did you use for your images?

12. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    All with the 17/1.8 except #7 which was an adapted nFD 50mm/1.4. PM me if you'd like some ideas. Happy to help.

13. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    Excellent series with great light and and a supreme sense of composition. That first shot, though, is simply outstanding. Great stuff.

14. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    +1

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That first shot really nailed it for me too.