San Francisco Street Photography, 17 June

denis_sf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Denis
Beautiful light yesterday in the city. Still getting comfortable with the OM-D. Today was a good exercise in just shooting in great light and seeing how the camera responded. Enjoy.

Attachments

• gams.jpg
    gams.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 231
  • Homeward.jpg
    Homeward.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 252
  • Smiles.jpg
    Smiles.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 224
  • Run.jpg
    Run.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 231
  • Cool.jpg
    Cool.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 284
  • Bus Stop.jpg
    Bus Stop.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 277
  • lit.jpg
    lit.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 223
  • walking by.jpg
    walking by.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 220
  • Palace.jpg
    Palace.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 214

denis_sf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Denis
Aw man, I realized I could/should have posted this in the 'Real Street II' thread. Apologies for the clutter. This doesn't need to be its own thread, I suspect.

Could I politely ask a Mod to add this post to that thread? Please and thanks.

Mijo

Mu-43 Veteran
It's amazing how clean the city looks in B&W. Stains from human defecation are indistinguishable from other stains on the side walk. Very nice set, I was down on 2nd Street yesterday and I recognize that ally in the last shot.

denis_sf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Denis
It's amazing how clean the city looks in B&W. Stains from human defecation are indistinguishable from other stains on the side walk. Very nice set, I was down on 2nd Street yesterday and I recognize that ally in the last shot.

Very true. Thankfully smell-o-vision is not built into the OM-D, else some of those might be a bit on the fragrant side. :) It's much better now than it was in the 80s or even the 90s....If you're familiar, I was at 83 Proof prior to the last shot and shooting from inside 83 Proof for #7. Good Manhattans. :)

#6 and 7 stand out to me. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! They are my favorites, too, alongside the one of the girl running. Appreciate your thoughts.

ThomD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice. Good use of B&W. 2 and 3 are in front of where I work. I can't bring a camera in without a big hassle, so I never get around to shooting at lunch.

Mijo

Mu-43 Veteran
Nice. Good use of B&W. 2 and 3 are in front of where I work. I can't bring a camera in without a big hassle, so I never get around to shooting at lunch.

I have the same problem at the building I work at as well (it's in the TL). I've been thinking of bringing a fanny pack so that I can bring a camera in and out of the building during lunch. The only downside is walking around the TL with a camera isn't exactly safe, too many crack heads.

denis_sf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Denis

Ah, that's too bad. The Federal Reserve building is ripe for documentary/street shooting - not just for the light but with the demonstrations that crop up.

I have the same problem at the building I work at as well (it's in the TL). I've been thinking of bringing a fanny pack so that I can bring a camera in and out of the building during lunch. The only downside is walking around the TL with a camera isn't exactly safe, too many crack heads.

Yeah. I was disabused of the notion that walking around the TL was fine without it being dark a couple of weeks ago. Nothing bad happened (I've lived and worked in and around the city for 20+ years), but I did have an interesting conversation with a young woman at Turk and Hyde (who may or may not have been either on drugs and/or indirectly soliciting me) about what I was doing walking around with a camera.

That was my last walk with the X Pro 1 as my primary camera prior to me moving on to the OM-D. Wrote about the Tenderloin encounter here:

San Francisco Street Photography – May 22-23 | gimletsandfilm

Also, after posting that link on another forum, I was directed to this video which is a fascinating watch. Mijo, it may be old hat to you as you work/live in the neighborhood but the subject matter, while sometimes gut-wrenching and gritty, is real and honest.

Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone! I really appreciate it.

edwardconde

Mu-43 All-Pro
I will be in S.F. after the 4th... Looking forward to walking & shooting the streets... What lenses did you use for your images?

denis_sf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Denis
I will be in S.F. after the 4th... Looking forward to walking & shooting the streets... What lenses did you use for your images?

All with the 17/1.8 except #7 which was an adapted nFD 50mm/1.4. PM me if you'd like some ideas. Happy to help.

Rick Waldroup

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Excellent series with great light and and a supreme sense of composition. That first shot, though, is simply outstanding. Great stuff.

Latest threads

Top Bottom