San Francisco ideas

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by tkbslc, Jul 22, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've got a week of business in San Francisco coming up. I'll have basically every evening free, I have no car and I'll be solo. So I'm planning on doing a lot of walking around with the camera to pass the time. Any ideas on places to walk or that I could hit on transit? Hotel is in the Wharf area (company booked it).

2. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    There is plenty to do/see either walking or taking a Light Rail or Cable Car.

1. Aquatic Park Pier (if you walk to the end and look back, you get a great view of the Wharf, city skyline with TransAmerica Pyramid and Coit Tower to one side).
    2. Little Italy is within 10 min walk along Columbus Ave.
    3. China Town is further 5-10 mins.
    4. From China Town, you are practically in downtown, Union Square area.
    5. From the Wharf, light rail (F line) can take you to Embarcadero/Financial District area in few minutes (have exact change though). Or if you want to do the touristy stuff and take the cable car, it will drop you off near Union Square.
    6. Lombard Street is within walking distance too (although you have to walk uphill some steep streets, but the view from the top is cool).
    7. Of course, at Fisherman's Wharf itself there are plenty of photo ops and people watching.

Enjoy your stay! I am sure others will chime in with more ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    SF is very easy to get around on transit and there are lots of interesting places to see. Fishermans' Wharf area is close to North Beach (historically Italian neighborhood), Coit Tower (great view), Lombard Steet ("world's crookedest street").

This thread might give you some other ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    You can also rent bikes around North Beach/Fisherman's pier, You won't be able to bike the hills but you could see the Presidio, embarcaderro and maybe get across the bridge. There's no shortage of sights and photographic opportunities. California Street has a unique view of the Bay Bridge.

5. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    you can also rent the "GoKart" thingamajig to ease the up hill climbs. china town has awesome food, as well as castro district. (food is always awesome in SF IMO) a lot of photo ops in the tenderloin area, if youre into street photography (might have to be extra careful if going at night)