San Disk Eye-fi card memory error

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by broadway, Apr 13, 2012.

1. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    With my Panasonic G1 I have recently been given one of these. When it is working it is fine, but it has a couple of problems. Sometimes it locks up the camera and I have to remove the battery and at other times it comes up with memory card error at random intervals. I have sent it back for a replacement, but wondered if anyone else has problems with theses cards.

SanDisk Eye-Fi 4GB Wireless Memory Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Wish I could help, but no clue..

I've found the eye-fi technology a bit unpredictable. I've heard some bad stories and have to say that I would be very wary of using them for any important shots. I have an 8gb card that mostly sits unused.

3. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I have and Eye-fi Pro X2 8GB, which worked perfectly fine with my GF1 for about six months. Right after one of the FW updates for the card, my GF1 started locking up randomly (usually right after sleep), or giving memory card errors randomly. This has never happened with any other (non-Eye-fi) card. I learned to not let the camera go to sleep, and every new FW update for the card seems to help it a lot, but I still get the errors every once in awhile. I've had the card replaced, and it doesn't matter (they sent me one that has a giant REFURBISHED stamped on it).

I recently picked up a GH2 and have used the Eye-fi in it quite a bit for studio shots (even letting the camera go to sleep), and it hasn't locked up or given an error yet. Must be something with G1/GF1 generation.

I've also found that the Eye-fi card drains the battery ~5-10x faster than a normal SD card, so I only use it at home for studio work.

4. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I had no idea that Sandisk sells Eye Fi cards in the UK. I shoot all the time with the 8gig sending small jpegs to my iphone while keeping the RAW files on my card.

Occasionally the camera does lock up and I do have to pull the battery then put it back in but thats not too often but thats the only issue I get.

I found their customer service to be tops so anytime I need help I've been able to get it fixed fast.

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    The newest version is branded with Sandisk's name (it might be an alternate version to the regular 4gb card, can't recall!).

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I've experienced similar issues lately with my E-PL1 with an Pro X2 8GB Eye-Fi. Just last evening a Google search landed me on the Eye-Fi forums where I found someone with a similar sounding issue (with an E-P3). The engineers had indicated that the issue had been resolved in the latest firmware (5.0008, if I recall). I updated the firmware on my card, but as yet have not had an opportunity to check it out.

This is true...if you're going to use an Eye-Fi card, I highly recommend you carry an extra battery (or two).

• Like Like x 1
  7. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Newer cameras like the E-M5 are finally Eye-fi-aware and let you turn the radio on and off in the camera's menu options which solves the battery issue (if you remember to do it). Something to remember for future bodies if you are still using the Eye-fi :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I remember seeing something like "Eye-Fi compatible" on a spec sheet for the E-M5, but I didn't really know what that meant. Thanks for the heads up.

Someday I'll probably invest in one of these newer bodies, but for now I'm focusing on putting together a good stable of lenses and learning to use the camera I have, so I'll just have to continue to remember to pack my extra battery and charger.

9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Is that how it works? I assumed by switching the eye-fi menu item to being on, that the camera then keeps itself on long enough to transfer files and would then shut off (rather than a blanket setting of the camera to 5 minutes being on or something like that, which eye-fi used to recommend).

10. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    I took it on holiday just to try out, but after the first day gave up on it and reverted to a normal card. I guessed the battery was draining down faster, I didn't test it. Before that I had only used it at home mainly for ebay stuff to make it easier to transfer shots to the computer.

I see what if its replacement is any better, but looking on the bright side maybe that's the excuse I need to change my G1.
    :smile:

11. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    My card's still doing the same thing with the updated firmware. It's getting kicked to the curb for now until I have some more time to mess with it.