San Diego suggestions

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by jcm5, Jul 27, 2014.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    Family will be planning a trip to SD in a few months and while as a SoCal native (OC), I've been to SD dozens of times, it's been a while and never with the purpose of taking pictures.

I'm interested in some good beach shots (long exposure hopefully) and other cityscape/landscapes. Any suggestions?

I'll be near the convention center for business so it's a bit on the southern end, but would welcome any personal recommendations.

Hoping to take my EM10, 12mm, 25mm, 45mm, tripod and ND filter.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi, the convention center front lobby has interesting architecture, esp. as you go up the end escalators and look back.

You can also get a great view of the bay if you climb the outside steps on the conv center.

Children's Cove in La Jolla sometimes has lots of Harbor Seals, and there's a small sea-facing cave in La Jolla as well.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43
  3. dlew

dlew Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    You can try Ocean Beach. It's a little bit north of the convention center and west of SeaWorld/arena. while you're there you can stop by and try a great Burger place called "Hodad's".
  4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    if you go to OB, or even just near yer hotel, make sure you go to HODADS hamburgers! terrrrrrrrible service... TOTALLY worth it!
  5. jinxi

jinxi New to Mu-43

Feb 21, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    If you get a chance, Coronado Island has beautiful beaches and of course the famous Hotel del Coronado. Scripps Pier/Ocean Beach Pier are nice, too (OB has the benefit of Hodad's, as mentioned by above, AND fish tacos at South Beach Bar & Grill!). You could also try the Salk Institute, also in La Jolla. You can go inside during working hours (M-F 9-6, I think?) - the views and architecture there are just gorgeous! Have a great time here, hope you'll love San Diego :)