1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

San Diego / SoCal m43 meetup.

Discussion in 'Mu-43 Member Activities, Meetups, and Hangouts' started by cgomez, Jan 9, 2015.

1. cgomez

cgomez Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2013
    Inspired by the LA meet-up, are there any San Diego members wanting to do a meet-up?

I'm thinking we shoot, grab a bite and beer, shoot a little more. I'm, for the most part, flexible with dates and location.

Who's in?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm in.

Although it's a ways from San Diego, I'd vote for Oceanside Pier on a weekend with good waves. I go to shoot surfers, but my most interesting shots are always of people.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  3. dlhickson

dlhickson Vaulter

Nov 18, 2013
    Encinitas, CA
    Dave Hickson
    I'm in - in Encinitas.

Dave

4. cgomez

cgomez Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2013
    Great, we have three so far. What date should we shoot for? I'm booked 1/16-1/19 and 2/6-2/9.

Early morning Oceanside sounds fun. Might be interesting taking some empty pier shots in the early morning light along with the surfers.

5. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    i hope to be moving to san diego within the next 8-10 months. hopefully i will join then! (or i might end up moving to virginia.. fingers crossed for san diego!)

6. cgomez

cgomez Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2013
    Military? You really can't beat being stationed in San Diego.

7. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I'm down for a meet. There's locations on roadtrippers that I need to hit up in SD

8. cgomez

cgomez Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2013
    I did not know about Road Trippers. That site is pretty cool. I'm always wondering what to shoot here in SD and they have so many suggestions.

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd love to see what you guys shoot! Looking forward to your pics!

• Like Like x 1
  10. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, my wife and I went up the coast via the PCH all the way to the Redwood forest and used roadtrippers as our guide. Also, Balboa Park is always a good spot to do a photog meet.

11. cgomez

cgomez Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2013
    I like the Balboa Park idea - architecture, a few different gardens, people, street performers, maybe pop in to a museum?

What's everyone think about Balboa?

Maybe last weekend of February? It'd be fun to do this on a somewhat regular basis.

12. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Other places I've shot are Little Italy, Coronado, and Seaport Village. I think this is one of those "if you build it they will come" situation. There's plenty of places to shoot here.

13. Brian Beezley

I'm going to be at San Elijo Lagoon on Sunday, May 10, at 8:30 a.m. Anyone want to join me? Low tide is at 9:15 a.m. That exposes the most sand, which attracts shore birds that hunt for food in it. The monthly bird count last Friday was 111 species. We won't see that many at just one spot in the very large lagoon. But a couple weeks ago I got many shots of the endangered Light-footed Ridway's Rail. There are only a few hundred left in the wild.

Meet at the Nature Center at 2710 Manchester Ave, Cardiff. The mile-long trail loop is very good for photography because it is elevated and you can see far out in the lagoon. There are many sandbars near the trail that attract birds. The trail also passes fresh water and woodland, which support different bird species. It's a beautiful and relaxing place. And if you drink too much coffee in the morning as I do, you'll appreciate that the Nature Center restrooms are close by!

http://www.sanelijo.org/welcome-san-elijo-lagoon-conservancy

Brian

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  14. Kazooless

Kazooless Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    Jeff Kazules
    I just found this forum and signed up. I'm in San Diego and would be interested in meetups like this.

15. Kazooless

Kazooless Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    Jeff Kazules
    New Meetup:

San Elijo Lagoon Nature Center, 2710 Manchester Ave, Cardiff, CA
    Saturday October 24th, 9:00am - ??

Please reply to confirm that you'll be there.

16. Brian Beezley

P0014711.

Beautiful spot. I'm in.

Brian

17. Kazooless

Kazooless Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    Jeff Kazules
    Another friend of mine who isn't a member of this forum is going to join us. That's 3 so far.

:D

18. Kazooless

Kazooless Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    Jeff Kazules
  19. Kazooless

Kazooless Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    Jeff Kazules
    Reminder. Let us know if you're joining us. :D

20. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Hi Jeff & Brian, Seems like a good spot for the 40-150. Will see you there at 9, I am in a white Jeep Trialhawk.

Jim