Samy's In-store: G9 $797.00 GH5 $997.00

HappyCamp

Mu-43 Rookie
I saw this in a Youtube video today:

In the video at the 2:21 mark it shows that the prices are good until 31-Dec-2019.

When I called and asked, the mail order department said they don't have that offer :( So only for you folks in California near a Samy's.

Last edited:

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Wow, Panasonic is going all out trying to sell these G9's .. I wonder if there's a strategy behind this? Get rid of old inventory to make room for something new?

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Fighting to gain m43 market share from Olympus? Ultimately, I really want an e-m1.2 but with this price differential, it's just hard not to go Panasonic.

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
I did not see this post.
I did not see this post.
I did not see this post.

GX85 is more camera than I can handle. Right? Right? Right?

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
In all seriousness, this is a great price if you are looking for a pro-level micro 4/3 camera that is arguably as good as any other m4/3 camera for images and video.

But, I am not a pro, nor even comparable in skill to many of the amateurs on this board. I looked over what I've spent over the years for cameras, and I've always bought low- to mid-tier, and they've always been plenty of camera for me. :)

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Wow, Panasonic is going all out trying to sell these G9's .. I wonder if there's a strategy behind this? Get rid of old inventory to make room for something new?
Fighting to gain m43 market share from Olympus? Ultimately, I really want an e-m1.2 but with this price differential, it's just hard not to go Panasonic.
The box says $500 in rebates, +$200 in 'Samy's Savings'. So it's the same sale as everyone is having with Samy's kicking in the extra $200. I have no idea what Samy's Savings are. Maybe a gift card?

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
In all seriousness, this is a great price if you are looking for a pro-level micro 4/3 camera that is arguably as good as any other m4/3 camera for images and video.

But, I am not a pro, nor even comparable in skill to many of the amateurs on this board. I looked over what I've spent over the years for cameras, and I've always bought low- to mid-tier, and they've always been plenty of camera for me. :)
if u're happy with your GX85 then don't even look at this. The G9 is a completely different beast from the GX85, esp in size and might not suite your use case.

I did not see this post.
I did not see this post.
I did not see this post.

GX85 is more camera than I can handle. Right? Right? Right?
FYI, the successor to the GX85 is the GX95 and not the G9 because the GX95 adds a 20MP sensor, tiltable viewfinder etc to the GX85. The G9 is much bigger than the GX85/GX95. I did not think I would like the G9 because it is bigger. But I happened to try one out, and the ergonomics are superb, so I bought a G9. At these prices, the G9 is a bargain.

Christo2977

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christopher
I'd assume a Samy's gift card.
I bought this wicked deal at Samy’s Pasadena 12 days ago. Couldn’t resist (they know me too well- reg. Customer (e.g. sucker). I’ve had G-7 and GH-4. Sold both for same reason stated by Kingduct - but didn’t really allow time for learning curve. This will be last camera buy for a long time. This hybrid has tons of great specs!! Planning to use for (new to me) video work and wildlife shooting. Now just need to pony up $$$ for good lens to put on it (anyone have the Oly 12-40mm for a steal?).

Christo2977

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christopher
I bought this wicked deal at Samy’s Pasadena 12 days ago. Couldn’t resist (they know me too well- reg. Customer (e.g. sucker). I’ve had G-7 and GH-4. Sold both for same reason stated by Kingduct - but didn’t really allow time for learning curve. This will be last camera buy for a long time. This hybrid has tons of great specs!! Planning to use for (new to me) video work and wildlife shooting. Now just need to pony up $$$ for good lens to put on it (anyone have the Oly 12-40mm for a steal?).
Also.. no Gift Card. Pure $200 off for G.T. $797.00 OTD (no tax!!). Samy’s is the bomb!

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Amazon U.K. had a 24 hour deal on the G9 for £763 last week. Jessops at £799 today.
So why so cheap, have they made too many? The recent firmware updates have made sound improvements. Will they be releasing something better in this category at Photokina in 159 days, 161 till my birthday.

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Amazon U.K. had a 24 hour deal on the G9 for £763 last week. Jessops at £799 today.
So why so cheap, have they made too many? The recent firmware updates have made sound improvements. Will they be releasing something better in this category at Photokina in 159 days, 161 till my birthday.
JMO, I think Panasonic is trying to increase market share among enthusiasts and pros. If you give away the razor handle, the recipient still needs to buy the blades. Sell the body cheap and watch your lens sales grow. I have a hard time believing that they're going to do a new pro grade camera.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Yes, but even the PL100-400 is now less than £800 after cashback in thr U.K.
Not sure what that points to. It could be a simple matter of camera sales not being what they used to be and Panny trying to offset that. Tis the season of sales. That lens in the U.S. is still $1500 on sale with $300 cash back, so a completely different and stronger market.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Not the correct brand, but on the same theme....Olympus have reduced the price of the Em1x by £800 with this code and before 6 January.
EM1XMAS

Zman

Mu-43 Veteran
I just read a thread at DPReview that B&H and Adorama sent out "private offer" emails for the G9 at $847. I didn't receive one, but was very tempted when the $999 price came out. For $847 I'd happily pull the trigger.

amp

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes. I got that email as well.
Unbelievably, I somehow erased it just as quickly as I received it.
Thankfully, I already have the g9.
I'd be almost tempted to buy another one at that price. Great camera!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom