1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Samy's Camera in LA pushes NEX over M43 & Nikon 1?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was overhearing a conversation with a sales associate at Samy's Camera in LA (Fairfax store) who was selling a NEX-5N to some rich yuppie. The sales guy kept bragging how the Sony had the best sensor and how other mirrorless cameras just can't compete. He even mentioned the Nikon 1 system wasn't selling too well because the sensor was just too small and M43 was just more of the same. I was a little surprised that nothing was mentioned like M43's vast lens collection or Nikon 1's hybrid CDAF/PDAF, etc. I guess if you put a big sensor on a turd, it'll sell! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Better not show this post to Rich :wink:

3. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    That same salesman next week will be pushing whatever brand results in the highest margin at that time. It's why they hate follks who do their homework before going to the store.

4. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    The NEX5n has a cracking good sensor. I wish that class of sensor existed for µ43.

The problem, in my opinion, is that there are few desirable E-mount lenses. And "few" is generous.

Meanwhile, the PL25, Oly 45, P20, and other great native µ43 lenses stand head and shoulders about the native E-Mount options.

That said, if I intended to shoot adapted lenses, I'd look to Sony.

5. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is why I hate going to camera stores now. I'm better off just posting something on an internet forum and get real world responses. I have no problem with NEX, it's just this particular sales guy was just going off how all the other systems were so bad, just to make sure this guy would buy the camera, the accessories and the accidental insurance coverage. :rolleyes:

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    That's Samy's ... I did find a decent guy in their Santa Ana store.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Canoga Camera is pretty good. The sell everything in-store at their internet price. Bit of a drive, but I like the no haggle atmosphere.

G

8. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    What's strange is I didn't see any 45-200 OIS lenses on the floor stock. It looks like Panasonic is pushing the 45-175 hard.

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    You buy anything?

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2 although in this case ...

• Like Like x 1
  11. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I know exactly who you are talking about. I was in there the day before Thanksgiving and he was giving the same pitch to a fellow with more gold on his neck than Paulie, Rocky Balboa's BIL.

He's just making a living.

Caveat emptor.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    This is exactly why I sold my NEX....

13. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Same in Pasadena. He immediately picked up that I wasn't there to hear BS, and let me try out a lens on the E-P3 I had, and left me in peace while I tested it. 15 minutes later, he had a sale, and he hadn't uttered more than a few senrences the whole time. Easy sale for him, and a pleasant experience for me.

14. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Panther, you mean you hadn't done your homework?! You must now go the the board and write a 100 times: "I will always seek the counsel of my fellow mu43 compatriots before I shop for camera gear." :smile:

15. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    Exactly. But the bottom line is that he was right that the NEX's sensor is superior to the alternatives in question. I think what a lot of people here forget is that not everyone is a photographer/enthusiast and, to many, a camera is a camera is a camera.

Those people probably aren't buying into a system, they're looking for the best camera they like and can afford. The chances are they'll buy it with just the kit zoom lens, it will be the only lens that camera ever sees, it'll never be used in anything other than auto/scene mode and they'll be more than happy with it.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I might leave Olympus too since I don't really like any of their 3 recent releases....

17. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    The nex5 sensor is great, but from what I read the nex5 doesn't have IBIS. So manual lenses can be better on Olympus m4/3 if hand-holding long focal length lenses and/or slower shutter speeds is desired. (Plus the magnification factor is greater so you get more free effective focal length)

18. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States

That's true about the vast majority of the population.

Actually, "Paulie" already owned the Sony A77 and, like some here such as myself, was looking for a more compact camera to tote around instead of the bigger model. Except for the gold around his neck and obvious disposable income he possessed (neither of which I do), "Paulie" and I have a lot in common with respect to cameras.

Both of us are in our mid-late 50s, sick of lugging around the big DSLR, and let the sales guy talk while we watched his cute redhead colleague as she walked across the room.:smile:

19. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular

For any one who interested... After reading a few reviews of the NEX7 I was becoming softened up to seriously consider it as a contender. So I started looking at the back issues of Amateur Photographer (UK) for resolution/noise/ISO test comparisons NEX-Olympus-Lumix- and lastly Leica. The M9 is almost my full time work camera except for the macro and long tele shots where I use a Canon 5D. The results were interesting not definitive by any means as this kind of test is not the be all and end all of what constitutes average camera usage.
    The bottom of the list over an average ISO range was the NEX then the lumix followed by the EP2 and EP3. The M9 was only a tad better than the Olympus sensor and that was unexpected...
    I have got my EP2 up for sale at the present and unless the upcoming Fuji is streaks ahead with the same (really) basic comparisons general IQ and lens adaptability with legacy lenses I will buy an EP3... I will see if I can find a way and the time to post this here or on my blog in the near future.

20. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I worked in a camera shop once and I know what they do and why they do it and I don't listen to what they tell me ever except whether they have the item I'm looking for in stock. BUT, what most camera shop salesmen understand far better than the likes of we internet camera junkies is that MOST people are NOT buying a camera SYSTEM. Most people are buying a camera and a kit lens. And that's all most of them will ever buy for that system. With DSLRs and any other ILC. And for these people, the NEX 5n probably IS the best choice compared to m43 or the new Nikons (unless they want to catch their kids at sports in which case the Nikon is probably a better choice). Or, at the very least, it's just as good.

Now, I'd argue that a LOT of these folks would probably better off with a really nice compact like an XZ1 or an X10 or similar, but if the spiff this week is on Sony, I'd sell em that and I wouldn't feel guilty about it. OTOH, if they come in with any idea of what they want and why, I'd hear them out and give them an honest appraisal of their options and I'd give them a recommendation for the right item regardless of what we were trying to push that week. And that happens, but it didn't happen much. So I'd probably be selling a lot of Nex "systems" too, and I'd probably also push the dual lens kit with the 16 and the kit zoom, because that was probably the best and last chance to sell most of them a second lens. And then of course they're gonna need a bag, an extra battery, an SD card, and an extended warranty and THAT's where I'd make some money regardless of the system they bought.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1