Samyang vs. Panasonic Fisheye?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by krugorg, Sep 15, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Anyone have both the Samyang and Panasonic fisheyes, or see any comparison reviews? The lenstip review said the Samyang was the best fisheye they ever tested, but they didn't reference the Panasonic fisheye specifically and it looks like they have never had it in their shop to test.

I know "it's the price dummy," but the Samyang currently is $425 shipped to me in the states, while I can get a mint, used Panasonic for $500ish.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have the Panasonic, and think it's excellent. My wife really wanted me to get one, and found a good deal (mostly to get her to shut up) thinking I would rarely use it - and I use it all the time!

Makes a great flower lens and is amazing for indoors shots, just wish it had a bit wider aperture.

3. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I don't have the Panny, but I do have the FCON for the Olympus kit lens. One thing to note is that focus by wire (that I believe you'll also have on the Panny) makes it difficult to just focus either as close as possible or to infinity (the only two places I've ever wanted to focus). IMHO a manual focus lens would be easier to use...

4. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Also the "sweet spot" of the samyang is at f4 (or f5.6 for best corner and center combo) and the panasonic is at f13.

This is what makes me turn to the samyang, since I shoot a lot video with a fisheye and I would like to use the lowest acceptable aperture to get the shutterspeed up to 250. The Peleng I have now has it's best performance at f5.6 and f8, with as good resolution as the pany at f13.

5. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Wow - she's a keeper!

6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I wish my wife wanted me to get new cameras and lenses :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks for the responses, all.

So, given the difference in f-stop sweet spots, would the Panasonic be potentially better for landscapes? Right now, this is what I am most interested in for this type of lens.

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    To be clear, this is the ONLY lens she has been "encouraging" about before-hand. She has come to love the PL45 because of the flower shots I get with it, but otherwise, she is ... um ... "accepting" at best.

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Where is this data from?

I find the Panny lens to be quite sharp, can't possibly imagine going to f/13 on an 8mm focal length. At f/4 everything from 1'-9" to infinity is in focus. f/8-f/11 is considered the diffraction limit for m43

10. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah, the Panny fisheye is tack sharp right from wide open. It's the best fisheye I've used, and I've owned four for various systems. The sample images I've seen of the Samyang are not quite as sharp as what I get from my Panny 8mm.

11. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Speaking of the Panny fisheye, where can I purchase the Samyang?

12. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Only on eBay.

13. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Bump for any recent opinions!

14. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Kyle,

You can get the Bower labeled 7.5mm for 294.99 from B&H or the Samyang version for $299. Just and FYI. I've handled this lens in person and thought the build quality was very nice for the money. Having the 7-14mm I don't see a reason for me to have it though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Will the 7-14 give the same distorted field of view that the fisheye will though?

16. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    No it's rectilinear. You'll get some distortion near the edges of the frame if things are right up close. Nothing like the look of a fisheye though.

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Samyang is $299, either color, in stock with free shipping: samyang 7.5mm | B&H Photo Video

I'm very impressed by the Samyang sharpness all the way to the corners. Exceeded my expectations by quite a bit. Haven't tried the Panasonic version.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Haven't tried the Samyang but have the Panasonic
    The Panny is great - the image you get from this is vastly different from the 7 - 14 despite the similarity in focal length - lots of curved lines with the Fisheye compared to much more straight lines with the 7 - 14 - I always wonder how there is so much less distortion on the 7 - 14
    The Panasonic is fun to use and is very very compact and considerably smaller than the Samyang (I believe I am right in saying this ?)

19. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

I have been told by someone in the photo retail business that Lens-Tip of Poland is closely related to Foto-Tip, also of Poland, and that there may even be some common ownership.

You might ask why that is important. It is because Foto-Tip sells Samyang lenses across the EU and is Samyang's sole official importer for EU countries.

However, I have found Lens-Tip reviews quite useful in the past and would not like to suggest that there is any hint of bias.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

The reason is that the 7-14mm was designed as a rectilinear wide angle lens, rendering straight lines as straight, whereas the 8mm is a true fisheye lens, rendering any straight line that doesn't pass through the centre of the image as curved.

The choice of whether the lens is going to be rectilinear or fisheye is the first decision the designer has to make.