Samyang Ultra Wide Angle

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by daum, May 28, 2013.

1. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Do you guys think Samyang will ever make an ultrawide angle for µ43? i love the 7.5 fisheye but sometimes wish i had a true UWA. I really don't care for AF or Zoom. It seems like a no brainer so why isn't it out yet?

2. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    oops ive posted in the wrong forum. How to delete?!!?!?!

3. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    It's really not as simple as that. Generally they are extremely complex and very pricey to manufacture.

While m43 and mirrorless have gained some popularity, the manufacturers probably do not yet see the demand yet. IMO, UWA are niche lenses.

4. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    You can always software defish the 7.5mm; that is the same process, in principle, as is used automatically on the automatic native lenses to remove barrel distortion (and is probably part of the reason that the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 is so much sharper in the centre than the corners - it has massive barrel distortion if uncorrected).

There are no known plans of any manufacturer to make a rectilinear ultra-wide angle fixed focal length lens for the reasons already given, but the two wide angle zoom lenses (Panasonic 7-14mm and Olympus 9-18mm) are both known to be of good quality and, of course, are at their fastest aperture at the wide end in which you are most interested.

5. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I just want one for landscapes and usually shoot at f8 or higher. I've tried fisheye hemi with my rokinon, but i don't really want to push and pull pixels. The 9-18 isn't as wide as i'd like and the 7-14 is too costly for what i'd do with it. if only they get rid of the zoom and make it f4 at a good price. Come on Samyang!

6. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Hmm - I'm intrigued as to what subjects really need a 7mm rectilinear wideangle for which a 7.5mm fisheye or a 9mm rectilinear wideangle will not suffice.

However, even if somebody were to produce a fixed 7mm wideangle, it is doubtful that it would be much or any cheaper than the 7-14mm zoom in light of the low volumes in which it would be sold.

7. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Well, FWIW, the FF Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 is less than half the price of the 7-14mm and less than a quarter of the price of the Nikon 14-24mm.

8. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I think the reason why the 7-14 is so expensive is of course the glass and the zoom. If they make it fixed it would be like a 50mm lens. No zoom, less moving parts, and no AF all of which i think its pointless for an UWA anyway. $250-$300 would be awesome! hahaha

9. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Now where's the m43 version of that lens? 7mm f/2.8 should be awesome :D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

10. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    7mm f4 for $300... hell even at $400 that would be awesome.