Samyang to join Samsung NX (iso M43)

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by JoepLX3, Jun 28, 2010.

1. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
  2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    this is bizarre , but not unexpected , the independent lens makers seem to be ignoring the micro 4\3 mount and ignoring it healthy market success, for reason i dont understand

sheeeesh!

3. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    They also mention extending to other mounts, including the 4/3... Most of us must have an adapter by now, and I don't see them extend to so many other mounts and not include the m43. Plus, since they are manual lenses, is it really so important ?
    I do not know anything about those, are they good for the price ?

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Kinda my sentiment - they are just adding an adapter to their existing lens. It certainly is perculiar for them to be bothering the the samsung nx though, as by everything I have read it is kind of a flop. I am guessing their not having made m4/3 mount lenses does in fact have much to do with already have the standard 4/3, and the huge prevalence of available adapters (something the NX probably does not have).

5. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Samyang

Samyang and Samsung are both Korean companies.

Samsung have only 3 lenses available and nothing wider than 18mm is on the horizon so I suspect Samyang sense an opportunity.

There are a substantial number of manual lenses (via adapters) for m4/3 cameras in addition to the Panasonic and Olympus AF ranges plus 4/3 lenses.

I have a Samyang 14mm f2.8 (In Nikon Mount) on order and plan to use it, via adapters on my M4/3 cameras, Canon DSLR, Leica M9 and my "flop" Samsung NX10.

6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Didn't mean to offend!

7. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    its a flop , but a sexy little camera besides. its form factor and sheer size are commendable , in spirit the nx shares a paradigm with the olympus and panasonic m4\3 cameras and the 2 sony nEx machines
    ?
    it was said that the nx cannot mount leica lenses due to a design constraint , is this true?
    could a user in theory use a body cap to fashio an adapter or is this impossible?

as far as the brand is concerned i believe that samsung has trumped every single camera maker on earth in the compact point and shoot zoom category
    not nikon not canon not panny or even the geniuses at ricoh or anyone outdoes the tl 500 \ex1 machine

i say this because it has a full compliment of features set up so any shooter can pick this up and instantly shoot in any mode

does good jpeg good raw has a 24 to 72mm equiv 1.8 to 2.4 lens lots of pro stuff clean understated desigh
    a ccd sensor rather than cmos to lessen noise in the 1.7 sensor
    sad to sad it blows away my excellent and beloved ricoh gx 200 24- 72 2.2 4.4 , my favorite camera after my ep1 anf gf1
    i just got it, samsung is a company to watch

8. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    flop?

20,000+ NX10's sold in Korea in 5 months. Is that a flop?

9. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Too early to say, same holds for Sony

10. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    20,000 then id say a success

11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Well of course it is gonna sell like hotcakes in South Korea! You could write samsung on a bag of turd there and it would sell out the first day (maybe not after some user reviews, but...). Well, Maybe I am just bitter because I think they abandoned a large user base moving away from cooperation with Pentax - of course it could be Pentax distanced the relationship themselves as well. you just have to look at all the talk in the 'pentax to join m4/3' thread to see how current and former pentax users would clamor for an evil-type camera.

I like to look at ebay completed listings to get a gauge of how something is selling. The pentax K-x has sold over 60 for as far back as completed listings go (meaning sixty green, actually sold cameras, not the red unsold listings). GF1? 51. E-pl1? 39. NX10? 2.

12. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Are those statistics related to camera / camera potential?
    - Or mainly commercial investments in the US so far?

But indeed interesting to follow which direction Pentax will decide to go in.

13. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Just ebay sold listings from the last 2 weeks (or however long they provide data) - not exactly scientific, but since alot of the online camera retailers also sell there (along with private sales, of which one of the two NX10's was) it seems to be a reasonable sampling to me (beach, adorama, 17th, willoughbys all sell on ebay among others).

14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Reviving this because I just got a weekend special from adorama for the NX10, as follows:

kit package with coupon $599
    30mm pancake reg $299, $100 instant rebate and $50 coupon code rebate
    50-200mm reg $249, $100 instant rebate and $50 coupon code rebate

I can't tell if you need to use the code to get both rebates on the lenses (the camera kit already shows the $50 instant rebate before the coupon code but the lenses dont). anyway, $850 out the door for that 3 lens kit is a pretty enticing deal to a new user (not that I am interested, but thought I would post for further discussion!)

15. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Price (- cost of manufactoring = margin) is pretty important to determine success of a company within any market...