1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samyang/Rokinon/etc lenses... which mount is best? Canon or nikon or FT?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by peripatew, Nov 5, 2011.

1. peripatew

peripatew Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    I'm very interested in the 35mm/1.4, the 85mm/1.4 and the upcoming 24mm/1.4 for manual focus video stuff for my GH2.

I'm testing out about 8 different Canon FD's at the moment, and have had my 50mm/1.4 for a long time.

But, is one mount going to be better in the long haul? Nikon?

I don't plan on buying any other type of auto lenses that aren't MFT, but just trying to think long term? Thoughts?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you've already got a ton of FD lenses, do you really want to pull out a new adapter just for one or two lenses? Just stick with the FD, it'll
    be much more convenient. Just consider your GH2 a mirrorless, digital FD.

3. peripatew

peripatew Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    I've only got the one FD, I'm just testing the others (17,24,35,etc..). And so far, I haven't been super impressed. I'd also like more low light performance, and for the price, the Samyang's seem sharp. The addition of adapters doesn't bother me to much, I know the Samyang lenses will be big, and I'm comfortable with that.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I see. Then if you weren't that impressed with the quality of the FD lenses you probably won't like the Nikkors any better, at least not those from the same time period. Instead, you should get Four-Thirds mount. The sharpness and resolving power of digital Zuiko glass is sure to impress, and they're all modern lenses which will fully communicate with your digital body. Nikon hasn't changed their mount so you can get both older and newer glass, but the newer glass will require an adapter with aperture ring. You may as well just get Four-Thirds then!

Also, Four-Thirds is shorter flanged and will therefore give you a shorter (more compact) adapter.

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Funny, I was just researching an 85/1.4 myself for video and was considering the Canon FD and the Samyang. What a coincidence.

Can you tell me what you don't like about the FD glass you've been using for video? Any samples to share?

thx

6. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    See, i like my FD stuff for video, the focus pull is super smooth on all the FD lens' i own and they are usually fairly sharp wide open. They get better if you stop them down a couple of stops and have great edge to edge sharpness. My 50mm f1.8 is a lovely lens for video and for longer shots i really enjoy using my 135mm f2.8.

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm wanting the 85/1.4 but if it needs to be stopped down to get good performance, then it's not that much better than my Pentax DA70/F2.4 which sharp from wide open. So maybe I don't really need it after all. That's a relief!

8. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    John, for video the sharpness of the lens is much less critical than for stills. For example, my FD 50/1.8 is slightly hazy wide open, but it's not visible in video because its resolution is not high enough to reveal the flaws of the lens.

9. Christopher

Christopher Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    Toronto
    I would choose Nikon because of the variety of quality glass you can obtain.. you're somewhat limited when it comes to FD in my opinion compared to all the Nikon F mount out there...