Samyang/Rokinon etc 7.5mm native or 8mm adapted?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by matt_not_andrew, Mar 4, 2014.

1. matt_not_andrew

matt_not_andrew Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2013
    Hi there.
    I'm thinking of getting a Samyang fisheye but don't know whether it not to get the 7.5mm mft or the 8mm Pentax fit and use it on an adapter on my GX1.

Like most fisheye lenses, it's not going to get a lot of use and I use my Pentax K-r a lot still with my Panasonic GX1 being my walk around small camera. For the limited amount of use the lens would get, I'd use it probably equally on either camera. On the MFT the 8mm would be 16mm, still wide for most of what I'd use it for.
    Obviously the 7.5mm would be smaller but limited to my GX1.

Does anyone here have any experience in using the 8mm adapted on mft, perhaps from before the 7.5mm was released? Did you find it too big? How did you get on with it?

The other reason for looking at the 8mm is because manual lenses are quite easy to use on a Pentax body with the green button and OVF omo.

Thanks in advance.
    Matt

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Usually I'd say to get the MFT version, but since you use Pentax as well getting the 8mm and adapting it could be a better option.

The main down side will be that it will take more room in your camera bag, so you might find yourself leaving it at home rather than having it as an option when you're out.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Sacrilege !! :smile: My Sammy 7.5 never leaves my bag and gets a ton of use!

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    8mm: 75 wide x77mm long, 428 grams and add 26mm for the adapter.
    7.5 mm: 60 wide x48mm long 197 grams

About as long as the 40-150 zoom w/o adapter, and more than 2x the weight of the 7.5mm. By the way. the 7.5mm is only 33mm long to the end of the glass. The other 16mm is from the petals on the built in hood.

For me, the attraction of the 7.5mm fisheye is not so much the focal length, but that it's so small and thus easy to bring it. That 8mm would be competing for space in my camera bag, but your carrying habits will be different if you use both a Pentax and GX1.

Probably a lot of fun on the DLSR, and good for occasional use on the GX1.

5. Rjhelmes

Rjhelmes New to Mu-43

Jan 23, 2014
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I happen to have both the mft and pentax rokinon fisheyes now. I'm making the jump from pentax to mft. I've used the k mount fisheye for about 1.5 years and love it. Shortly after buying the em5 about 2 months ago I bought a fotodiox adapter (pk to mft) and couldn't get the rokinon pentax fisheye to focus to infinity on the em5. It was very strange, it was only slightly out of focus when at its' closest limit (1ft or .3m) but when focused to infinity (3ft) the entire image was blurry. It's one of my sharpest k mount lenses and really was hoping it would adapt so I purchased another fotodiox pk adapter this time the one with the aperture switch. Unfortunately the same thing happened with this adapter. I ended up sending both adapters back to amazon and purchased the mft fisheye. It's tiny compared to the pentax and so far equally as sharp. I'm still not sure why this happened because my other pk lenses adapted just fine when I used them to test to make sure the adapter wasn't off.

Has anyone else had this experience or successfully adapted the 8mm rokinon? And what adapter are you using?

I plan on selling my k mount fisheye, pm me if you end up going that route.

6. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Seconding this - I didn't think I'd get much use out of a FE, now it's never out of my bag...and on the camera, well probably too much actually!
    Very happy to have such a small yet wide lens (sometimes with a little de-fish in lightroom).

7. matt_not_andrew

matt_not_andrew Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2013
    Thanks for the responses. I'm going to start with the Olympus BCL 9mm first to see how much I use the cheaper fisheye lens. I have so many lenses for my Pentax (but so many more that I want!) and the M43 will be the slow burner that gets lenses as and when I can justify them.
    A photographer friend once told me that if I start photography I will end up balancing a new lens against that months mortgage payment in consideration. He was not wrong!