1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samyang/Rokinon Cine lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Artorius, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Hello people of mu-43. Today my question is this- would Rokinon/Samyang Cine lenses be a solid choice to adapt to m4/3? They're all manual lenses with as far as I know, no electric contacts. I was thinking of buying them in K-Mount when I have the money as they seem to be a decent alternative (obviously not on the same level) to the Voigtlander cine-style lenses.

2. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I wonder why they don't make them in m4/3 mount?
    They are excellent lenses.

3. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Hey Steve, I've heard of their great reputation. Do you think adaption would work? I have a number of manual lenses, but feel these would bring some consistency if I bought a set and adapted them. Plus, they're cheaper than a lot of m4/3 options.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They are not made in m4/3 mount because they are designed for DSLRs with a much longer registration distance{lens to image plane}.

The SamYang lenses are very good, often better than the big boys in image quality. I have a couple of their regular lenses in Nikon mount. Right now they have a fisheye, 14mm, 24mm, 35mm, and 85mm. Coming soon are a 50mm and a 10mm super-wide.

If you are only going to use them for your GH then get Nikon or Canon mount as those would have the best sell-ability later. They are fully manual with no electrical contacts. They make Nikon mount lenses with some electrical ability but only in the standard lenses, not the cine ones.

Since they are cine lenses the apertures are marked in t-stops and are clickless. The numbers are printed to be read from the side instead of on top. And of coarse the focus ring is geared.

I was not aware that Voigtlander made cine lenses. I do know there is a company that modifies them to cine standards. SLR Magic has a couple of lenses that are cine style, at least having a geared focus and clickless aperture{although I think they are f-stop marked}. If you want the best cine lenses check out Zeiss and Schnider{they sell for $10k and more!}.

5. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Merely referring to the Voigtlander m4/3 manual lenses as "cine-styled" not necessarily true cine lenses. And I'm more than aware of the top quality cine lenses! :wink: However, the Samyangs/Rokinons are much less! Alas, I'm a no budget filmmaker. I wouldn't be shooting with a GH2 otherwise :tongue: So if I do purchase them in Canon EOS mount, would it be fine for me to get a cheapy rainbowimaging, or other Eos->m4/3 adapter? Seeing as the Rokinons don't have electrical contacts.

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The Samyang lenses have generally excellent optics. The cine versions use clickless T-stops and geared focus rings. If you don't need those features, the photo versions of the lenses are the same optically and quite a bit cheaper. As for the adapters, the cheapies will work but might wiggle a bit. Of course the new kid on the block is the Metabones Speed Booster, which will do EOS->m4/3 on steroids.

7. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

I've been looking at that Speed Booster. Looks great, I'll have to see how much money I can get together this summer, and hopefully things line up to where I can get this cine line of lenses.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't know what you mean by "cine-styled", in reference to the Voigtlander lenses. They are old school manual but very photography styled.

As far as adaptors go, get a good one. Note I said good not expensive. I am not sure about the rainbow brand but there are several brands that are good without being too pricey. The Fotodiox adaptors are good and they have the one you would need for $29.95.

Canon EOS Lens to Micro 4/3 (MFT) System Camera Lens Mount Adapter