1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samyang/Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye lens cap

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by physicsdude, Aug 18, 2015.

1. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    Hi guys,

sounds like a easy question, but where can I find a replacement front cap for my 7.5mm Rokinon fisheye?
    Google only gives me two or three UK-based stores, but I'd like to order inside the US or China. Shipping from the UK gets really pricey.

Checked other stores and just can't find it. Is there a generic lens cap that would work?

Thanks!

2. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    You could get a OP/TECH USA Hood Hat:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/197129-REG/OP_TECH_USA_8001262_Hood_Hat_Mini.html

The mini size is what you would want. I tried one on the lens you have and it fits pretty loosely, which is good and bad. It's good because I have a few of these Hood Hats and one thing I don't like about them is that they can be pretty hard to get on and off. So I usually buy one-size too large. In this case, the Mini size grabs a little onto the lens, but not too much. The depth is just about right, I'd say. Pretty cheap to try, anyway.

Edit: Maybe you should also try the item described as the OP/TECH USA Hood Hat-PK Micro:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/902994-REG/OP_TECH_USA_8001342_Hood_Hat_Pk_Micro_1_X2_5.html

That would stretch more and still cover that very shallow Rokinon. I don't have one so I cannot try it for you. The Mini size would cover the entire lens, right down to the camera body, but wouldn't be as tight. I think I'd spring for both and eat the one I didn't like for breakfast. ;)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can get them from Rokinon's U.S. distributor for $15. I emailed their support and here's the response I got:

However, I found my cap and didn't get to try out their ordering process. :)

4. physicsdude

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    That's exactly where I'm at now, too. Elitebrands got an email from me :)

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I thought about one of those, too. One nice thing about that is that it wouldn't scratch the finish off your lens as the original cap does. My silver 7.5mm looks awful from the lens cap wear.

6. physicsdude

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    Mine isn't a beauty either anymore, but I feel more safe with a plastic lens cap than a neoprene hat.

7. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I agree that the plastic cap offers more protection against something hard, but the neoprene hats offer better dust/dirt/sand protection in the field, IMHO. Also, they are easier to carry after you have removed them (to use the camera) because you can just stuff them into your pocket or whatever.