Samyang/Rokinon 7.5mm and Fireworks

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bigboysdad, Dec 11, 2015.

1. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I've managed to score tickets for a NYE fireworks display which will require a wide angle lens. I have the Oly 12 f2, which is certainly handy but in terms of focal length, the 7.5mm will probably be better from where I'll be positioned. So has anyone had a sustained session doing fireworks with the Samyang that may be able to pass on some tips? Considering it's fireworks we're talking about, I don't necessarily see the fastest f3.5 aperture being a problem and I'm not going to buy an Oly 8mm f1.8 just for one night. Thanks in advance!

2. The 7.5FE will be fine: My Example

I can't remember what those were shot at exactly (f/3.5-8?) but I was using live composite on the E-M1 - it makes long exposure fireworks super easy by allowing a full fireworks trail without overexposing the foreground, much easier than doing it manually with my old E-M5.

Time the shots to start before detonation. If you don't have live composite, I would aim to have an exposure for ambient foreground lighting around 4s long in manual/live bulb mode - too long and different bursts/smoke will blend together too much. You can test the ambient exposure without the fireworks beforehand, just remember that the fireworks will add a little more light so you'll have to compensate.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Many thanks wjiang.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.