1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samyang/Rokinon 7.5mm and Fireworks

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bigboysdad, Dec 11, 2015.

1. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I've managed to score tickets for a NYE fireworks display which will require a wide angle lens. I have the Oly 12 f2, which is certainly handy but in terms of focal length, the 7.5mm will probably be better from where I'll be positioned. So has anyone had a sustained session doing fireworks with the Samyang that may be able to pass on some tips? Considering it's fireworks we're talking about, I don't necessarily see the fastest f3.5 aperture being a problem and I'm not going to buy an Oly 8mm f1.8 just for one night. Thanks in advance!

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 7.5FE will be fine: My Example

I can't remember what those were shot at exactly (f/3.5-8?) but I was using live composite on the E-M1 - it makes long exposure fireworks super easy by allowing a full fireworks trail without overexposing the foreground, much easier than doing it manually with my old E-M5.

Time the shots to start before detonation. If you don't have live composite, I would aim to have an exposure for ambient foreground lighting around 4s long in manual/live bulb mode - too long and different bursts/smoke will blend together too much. You can test the ambient exposure without the fireworks beforehand, just remember that the fireworks will add a little more light so you'll have to compensate.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Many thanks wjiang.