Samyang/Rokinon 12mm f2.0 or Panasonic Lumix G 14mm f2.5 ?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by saintsimon, Jan 8, 2015.

1. saintsimon

saintsimon New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2012
    Hi, I was looking for help on a comparison, or rather a question of how big of an upgrade the Rokinon 12mm f2.0 would be.

I currently own the Panasonic Lumix G 14mm f2.5 lens and feel it is decent but not quite as powerful as my Panasonic 20mm f1.7 (especially in low light).

The rokinon 12mm is $309 on B&H
    Would the 12mm / f2.0 be a huge upgrade or just a small incremental upgrade from the Panasonic 14mm lens?

Is it just me or do the photos coming from the 14mm appear mediocre compared to other lenses? I really like my shots that come from my 20mm and I also have the Rokinon 7.5mm fish eye and love taking such wide shots for landscapes and trick shots on the street.

So I think based on this...looking for improvements in street photography and low light. Also trying to find a good all around lens (also considering buying a 25mm and 45mm in the future).

I am currently in possession of a Panasonic GX1 and GX7.

Thank you for any valuable input you can provide!
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I don't have a lot of input on this, but I agree with you about the 14mm photos. Great little lens, but just pretty blah a lot of the time for me.

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    It's manual focus. I am not sure how good that would be for street. Also, 12mm is not that super wide. If it were me I would put that money toward a nice native zoom that starts with 12mm.
  4. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    I too am looking to get the 12mm rokinon for my m43 to use my haida square filter kit on its 67 mm thread size. I own the Rokinon 14 2.8 on my FF D800 E and MF is really very easy and the lens is ridiculously sharp, may the sharpest UWA that I have seen. If the Rokinon is even half as sharp I will be happy as the focus peaking feature and the damped focus ring should make MF quite easy on the GX7 I own.

I also own the 14 2.5. I get some very nice shots with it and it's quite sharp in good light stopped down. It's USP is that it's ultra light and small. That itself is worth keeping it in the bag for me.
  5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Why not get a speed booster to use with the 14mm FF lens that you already have; or is that set up too big for your liking?
  6. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    Yes that is an option but that Metabones adapter is much more expensive than the new 12mm Rokinon and I still do not have an option to mount filters on the the 14 2.8.
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    A used Oly 12/2 is worth considering. The prices are not bad and you'll get a beautifully-made, lightweight lens with top-rate IQ, AF and EXIF info embedded into your images. Really, I can't see the big and heavy, made-for-APSC Rok being a sensible option in the long term.
  8. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

That's all relative since people have different opinions of what 'Much more' is. I learned that on here, since some people might call something so cheep yet others would call it 'a good chunk of change' or 'kinda expensive'. For that reason I usually talk in as close to definite terms as I can.
    The 12mm is selling for about $310 and an N/F SpeedBooster sells for $429, which makes the speed booster about 40% more than the 12mm lens, but then you can't compare it to pricing the 12mm Rokinon or a used Oly 12mm, because it will turn the 14mm f2.8 lens, of which you already have, into an 8 or 9 mm f1.4 Super wide angle lens; so if you wanted wider than 12mm it's the cheapest solution for you going that wide, and don't forget that the speed booster can be used with all the other N/F lens that you have to make them faster. I understand the filter problem, but filters can be added at the back, unless that bothers you. I seen threads where people put a rear mounted filter holder to that lens.

Me, I might get the Rokinon 12mm, because I don't have any legacy lenses wider than 24mm and I not only don't mind manual focus, I kinda like it most times. For someone who plans to shoot indoors most of the times, a fast wide prime is ideal.
    But In reality I personally would probably get a Panasonic 12-32mm lens for the ability to have a compact O.I.S. Zoom that I can use on my Panasonic body both for wide angle and for walking around / street shooting; because it is only a couple stops slower and I would bounce my flash off the ceilings for indoor shots (because indoor shots would not be my primary use for it).
    • Like Like x 1