Showcase Samyang/Rokinon 12mm f/2

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by napilopez, Apr 12, 2014.

1. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    So I received the Rokinon variant of this lens a few hours ago (Samyang and Rokinon are basically the same thing, for those who don't know), thought I might as well get this thread started so I can share a few images while I work on my first impressions post and comaprison with the Olympus 12mm f/2

Just took one shot today, nothing too special but giving the lens a go. Hanheld at 1/1.6! Not representative of sharpness though--center is sharp but edges have some motion blur. And, obviously, it's edited. I'll likely be posting some images here as I play around with the review unit.

Very preliminary impressions based on playing with it for like a cummulative 20-30 minutes.

Size is hard to describe because it has such an odd shape. It's larger than the 12mm for sure, but I don't think it's too big. Because of the huge hood-like filter thread, for storage purposes, it's slightly larger than the 25mm F1.4. The diameter of the barrel is narrower than the 25mm f1.4, yet it ends up using a 67mm filter thread around the optic

Build feels quite good, though worse than the the Olympus; it's a mixture of metal and plastic. Focus ring is not my favorite. Very strong damping with relatively short throw; I prefer a longer throw and less damping, but YMMV. I suppose this makes it harder to accidentally knock focus out of place for landscape shooters.

And regarding image quality, there's still way more to test, but my first impression is that performance is at least very comparable to the Olympus. Don't know how much better or worse it is, but I there's certainly no obvious dfiference from the get go. Not bad for a lens that only costs $399.

13792542105_11460b2fb6_c.

• Like Like x 23
  2. iamajai

iamajai Mu-43 Regular

Finally an affordable wide angle prime. Thanks for the first impressions, looking forward to a more detailed review when time permits.

3. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    i'm sure i'm not the only one who wants to see a photo of the two lenses together :wink:

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting. I look forward to seeing more from this lens.

5. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Anyone else have any more impressions or samples?

6. zane73

zane73 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Pilot Mnt, NC
    Patrick
    I would also like to see more samples from this lens. I've been trying to decide between this or the Olympus.

-Patrick

7. maxsoul

maxsoul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Please update your finding!

8. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Hi, I've had the Samyang 12mm for about a week now and here's two images (not the best photos of scenic Stockholm) to compare image quality at f5.6 vs wide-open at f2.0. The later one was more brightly exposed for some reason.

Both look pleasingly sharp to edge to edge, but as expected, peaks in the middle. Focus was set on the building wall. I may need to make a 100% crop comparison as well to show any real difference which means using the lens wide-open is doable :)

Samyang 12mm, E-M1, ISO 200, 15 sec, f5.6
    [​IMG]

Samyang 12mm, E-M1, ISO 200, 4 sec, f2.0
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Some more Samyang 12mm samples. From London and Uppsala (Sweden).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

**** //Per

• Like Like x 5
  10. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    A few more with the Samyang 12mm. Note, I seem to be the only one that is active on this thread, others are welcome :)
    All shots from around Uppsala, Sweden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Thank you for posting the images. You've helped me decide on what lens to order next. I should have it next Thursday.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Congrats :) Hope you'll be satisfied, I really enjoy using it. Takes great landscapes at f5.6 and nice night shots at f2.8 - 2.0, just be careful with the focus setting at large apertures.

13. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Got it in today and took a quick walk with it during lunch. Not the greatest images, but I'm definitely happy with the lens. 5c9e3503bd22823bae490de1de2ce419. 721a64b08de372c0216d933c528810fc.

I need to get an online account, these uploads don't do justice to the sharpness of this lens.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    The upper one with bokeh is nice but the image could do with a bit more resolution as you say. The latter looks sharp edge to edge, fine :)

15. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Here's a 100% crop of the church photo.

_3270115.

• Like Like x 2
  16. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
  17. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    • Like Like x 2
  18. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

I'm curious how your Rokinon/Samyang 12mm has been holding up, Napier? Are your impressions of it still positive?

20. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Here are some sample images from a recent vacation in Cinque Terre, Italy. All with Samyang 12mm and E-M1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 16