1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samyang Fisheye - Black or Silver?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Andym72, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Simple really, I'm getting one of these sometime in the next week, but can't make my mind up which colour to get.

I'm going to be using it on a white E-PL3, but I am likely to get another m43 camera some time in future, and it's probably going to be a black body.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'd recommend the black. I have the silver and the problem is that the lens cap rubs on the silver paint of the hood and wears it away.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    I opted for the Rokinon 7.5/3.5 in black. It's the same lens as the Samy... just a different badge on it.

DSC_4815%20mr%20framed-XL.

4. euler_spiz

euler_spiz Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Cantabria, Spain
    LP Hoyos
    Got mine second hand, 60% of actual Price. I was so happy that couldn't care less about the color.
    Anyway, now I am glad it is black, looks great in my silver EM5.

5. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    It was exactly little insights like this that I was hoping to find out about. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's a pleasure. BTW - this is the only complaint I have about the lens. In all other ways it's superb. Definitely my most fun lens and I use it a lot.

7. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    I have the silver one and no paint issues so far and it looks just beautiful on my silver E-M5.
    For a black body, a black one may suit better.

8. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Isn't this beautiful ? :wink:

12765535874_736b39e571_c.

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Different silver tones may not match, but blacks should always be pretty close. I got black for my black camera, but I'd get black lenses for silver cameras as well.

10. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    It seems all the other "brands" you can find this lens under were optics makers in their own right in the past, but are now just run as "badge engineering" companies that buy the goods from OEMs like Samyang. In the UK, Samyang sell their lenses direct (and none of the other brands seem to sell here).

11. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
  12. MikeWhitten

MikeWhitten Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2012
    I also have the silver and I also have had the paint wear away. Recommend the black as well. Mostly, though, it's an incredible value in the lens!!

13. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I have it in black, it looks good on my black E-P5, and on my silver EM5. Very happy with it.

14. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I went with black but wish I had gone silver, only because it would have looked so retro on my Black GX7.

15. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Yes, I've been wanting a wider lens for a while now, and it was either get a reconditioned 9-18mm from Olympus Europe, or get the Samyang. Your defish comparison in your conservatory was what made my mind up (and with the Samyang you can always crop to wider still if you want, or use Panini projection, or stay a bit fishy with Stereographic).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I thought the black was the least ugly of the two. Both have silver and red on them which, if my camera was 100% silver, which it isn't, it might look okay. On the cameras that have a lot of black on them usually have silver too, which is most. On these cameras the black would look good if the red ring was silver. It isn't. The only camera either of the Samyangs would look good on, IMO, is the red PM2, if you get the silver lens. lol

17. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    It has arrived, and I think you guys were right, the black was the way to go. The black lens and the white body really work well together.

I shall be looking for scenes that could do with being a bit fishy over the weekend.