1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Samyang fisheye and focusing question.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by duvinclunk, Sep 17, 2012.

1. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Quick question...I'm new to photography. I've yet to purchase a manual focus lens and am seriously looking into the Samyang fisheye for some fun shots. I'm worried that with a manual focus lens I won't be able to focus fast enough in certain photo opportunities. I've read something about not 'really' needing to focus this lens. Can anyone explain this in detail or lend their thoughts about use with focusing this lens quickly?

Thank you!

2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    The depth of field is so deep that you rarely have to even change the focus ring.

Set it to f/5.6, and I think everything 3 feet to infinity will be in focus.

Anything that you are close focusing you may need to be careful, however.

Try this depth of field calculator to better understand "what's in focus".

Online Depth of Field Calculator

3. akhyar

akhyar Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 16, 2012
    When I had the equivalent lens with NEX7, I just set it to f8 and starts shooting. Only when the subject is less than 3m, I starts to manually focus the lens

4. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Interesting. Is there any reason to get Samyang over Rokinon?

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    No, exact same lens - pick whichever you can find cheaper (unless you've got an affinity for a certain name, hahaha).

And yeah as others have said not much need to worry about focus with a fisheye, the depth of field is pretty huge.

6. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I don't have a specific affinity for one name or the other.......yet. :biggrin: