Showcase Samyang 8mm f/3.5 NF

tamrong

Mu-43 Regular
Nice, how do you like the lens? Pros/cons?

thanks,

I like this lens

PROS
f3.5 ok, sharp at 5.6, super sharp at 8 - 11
good color reproduction
good resistance to flare
good build quality + metal body
good value ($3xx)

CONS
No DOF Scale
No Filters
contrast too strong
Minimum focus distance 0.3m

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
You really wouldn't need a depth of field scale. I would expect that if you focussed at around the 5m mark and were using f/5.6 that everything from less than 1 m to infinity would be in focus. At f/8 and focus around 3m, everything from .5m to infinity.

Seems good value for money. I believe there may be FT version coming soon.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Am I right in thinking that because of it's optical construction this lens has an angle of view of aproximately 135° on 4/3 rather than the usual 180° with an 8mm fish-eye? Still get the distictive distortion, though. :smile:

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have the Falcon badged version of this lens. Bought s/h and is 4/3 so needs an adapter. Agree with tamrong's Pro list. Haven't found the Cons a worry. Peter is right - the dof is huge on this type of lens and fine focussing is not needed. As John mentioned it is a diagonal or stereographic projection construction which gives less distortion. On a Nikon it is supposed to give 180 at crop factor of 1.5 so 4/3 will be less.

Samyang website with links to reviews.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
I have the Falcon badged version of this lens. Bought s/h and is 4/3 so needs an adapter. Agree with tamrong's Pro list. Haven't found the Cons a worry. Peter is right - the dof is huge on this type of lens and fine focussing is not needed. As John mentioned it is a diagonal or stereographic projection construction which gives less distortion. On a Nikon it is supposed to give 180 at crop factor of 1.5 so 4/3 will be less.

Samyang website with links to reviews.
Thanks for confirming that, Bill, I thought that's what I'd read somewhere. :smile:

BTW - although you're leaving FTU I'll still see you here!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom