Samyang 85mm f1.4 for Nikon adapted to M43?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by briloop, Feb 23, 2014.

1. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Has anyone bought the Samyang 85mm f1.4 lens for Nikon and an adapter and mounted the combination to a M43 camera?

If so, which adapter did you buy?

What kinds of results did you get?

2. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    I've seen people adapting it on a russian Olympus forum and getting very decent results. However, considering that you can get Olympus 75mm 1.8 for $470 - why bother?
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Where can I get a 75/1.8 for 470? Because I'm all over that.
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I've not seen any sources of the 75/1.8 that low. They are occasionally available for $560 + tax refurbished. You can get a Samyang 85/1.4 for half that price, and it's 2/3 stop faster. If you've got a limited budget and/or want shallower DoF, it seems like a reasonable option.
  5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I can see this advantage if someone was using a speedbooster adapter.
  6. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I have a Nikon-mount Rokinon 85 f/1.4 that I use with Lumix G1 and GH2 bodies. I'm sorry I can't tell you which adapter I use because I just bought the most affordable one I found on EBay. I have two such adapters and use the other one with a Nikkor 50 f1.4. I've had absolutely no problems with either combination.
  7. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
  8. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

And there is the point of buying this instead :smile: Olympus 75mm 1.8 (effective 150mm f/1.8)

Speed Booster, and the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 (effective 120mm f/1.0). Sweet portrait lens!
    Plus you can still use it with a cheep adapter without glass, for longer FL. (effective 170mm f/1.4)
  9. Hypnotic Love

Hypnotic Love New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2014
    I have the Rokinon 85mm version. Use a fododiox Nikon G adapter with the aperture ring, it fits nice and tight and works fine. Even though the ring isn't needed for the rokinon, if I ever put other nikon lenses on there without aperture rings I can control the aperture with the adapter.

I agree the Rokinon/samyang would be more fun since you can put the speedbooster on it, but unless you want/need autofocus get the Olympus 75mm.
  10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Samyang 85mm is a super lens! The IQ is better than Nikkor or Canon although the build isn't quite as good. On a quality scale of 1-10 with 1 being the worst{LOMO plastic lens} and 10 being the best{Canon L, Nikkor Pro} the Samyang lenses are a solid 8. The Samyang lenses are big and heavy however.

Note there are two different Nikon F mount 85mm lenses from SamYang - with and without electronic chips. If you are only going to use it for m4/3 only then get the cheaper non-chipped version but if you also want to use it on a modern Nikon get the chipped version.

AS for adaptors avoid the $20 ebay ones! I have several but they tend to have issues - lack of infinity focus, stop screws that fall out, bad fit{too loose or too tight}. I have had good luck with Fotodiox and Metabones{non-speedbooster} adaptors. They cost a little more but are better made. I prefer the Metabones adaptor because it includes a tripod mount, useful for longer lenses.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. LoneRider

LoneRider Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2014
    Marysville, WA.
    I have the Nikon version under the Rokinon name. I got a great deal on it ($299) to use with a Nikon to EOS adapter for my Canon gear. Just jumped into MFT and have already put it on the EOS to MFT adapter. As others have said, it is a great lens.

Here are a couple I have taken with it...

image by Lone-Rider, on Flickr

After the Storm by Lone-Rider, on Flickr

image by Lone-Rider, on Flickr