Samyang 85mm f1.4 for Nikon adapted to M43?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by briloop, Feb 23, 2014.

1. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Has anyone bought the Samyang 85mm f1.4 lens for Nikon and an adapter and mounted the combination to a M43 camera?

If so, which adapter did you buy?

What kinds of results did you get?

Thanks

2. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    I've seen people adapting it on a russian Olympus forum and getting very decent results. However, considering that you can get Olympus 75mm 1.8 for $470 - why bother?

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Where can I get a 75/1.8 for 470? Because I'm all over that.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've not seen any sources of the 75/1.8 that low. They are occasionally available for $560 + tax refurbished. You can get a Samyang 85/1.4 for half that price, and it's 2/3 stop faster. If you've got a limited budget and/or want shallower DoF, it seems like a reasonable option.

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I can see this advantage if someone was using a speedbooster adapter.

6. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Al
    I have a Nikon-mount Rokinon 85 f/1.4 that I use with Lumix G1 and GH2 bodies. I'm sorry I can't tell you which adapter I use because I just bought the most affordable one I found on EBay. I have two such adapters and use the other one with a Nikkor 50 f1.4. I've had absolutely no problems with either combination.

7. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
  8. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

And there is the point of buying this instead :smile: Olympus 75mm 1.8 (effective 150mm f/1.8)

Speed Booster, and the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 (effective 120mm f/1.0). Sweet portrait lens!
    Plus you can still use it with a cheep adapter without glass, for longer FL. (effective 170mm f/1.4)

9. Hypnotic Love

Hypnotic Love New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2014
    I have the Rokinon 85mm version. Use a fododiox Nikon G adapter with the aperture ring, it fits nice and tight and works fine. Even though the ring isn't needed for the rokinon, if I ever put other nikon lenses on there without aperture rings I can control the aperture with the adapter.

I agree the Rokinon/samyang would be more fun since you can put the speedbooster on it, but unless you want/need autofocus get the Olympus 75mm.

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Samyang 85mm is a super lens! The IQ is better than Nikkor or Canon although the build isn't quite as good. On a quality scale of 1-10 with 1 being the worst{LOMO plastic lens} and 10 being the best{Canon L, Nikkor Pro} the Samyang lenses are a solid 8. The Samyang lenses are big and heavy however.

Note there are two different Nikon F mount 85mm lenses from SamYang - with and without electronic chips. If you are only going to use it for m4/3 only then get the cheaper non-chipped version but if you also want to use it on a modern Nikon get the chipped version.

AS for adaptors avoid the $20 ebay ones! I have several but they tend to have issues - lack of infinity focus, stop screws that fall out, bad fit{too loose or too tight}. I have had good luck with Fotodiox and Metabones{non-speedbooster} adaptors. They cost a little more but are better made. I prefer the Metabones adaptor because it includes a tripod mount, useful for longer lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LoneRider

LoneRider Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2014
    Marysville, WA.
    Wayne
    I have the Nikon version under the Rokinon name. I got a great deal on it ($299) to use with a Nikon to EOS adapter for my Canon gear. Just jumped into MFT and have already put it on the EOS to MFT adapter. As others have said, it is a great lens.

Here are a couple I have taken with it...

12923496484_29182c1565_b.
    image by Lone-Rider, on Flickr

12930272864_640895fc64_b.
    After the Storm by Lone-Rider, on Flickr

12948747475_cfbdea7fde_b.
    image by Lone-Rider, on Flickr

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.