1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by acronimo, Feb 19, 2014.

1. acronimo

acronimo New to Mu-43

Jan 1, 2014
    OFFICIAL SAMYANG PAGE LENS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mount

Nikon
    Canon EOS
    Pentax K
    Sony ∝
    Canon M
    Fujifilm X
    Samsung NX
    Sony E
    Four-Thirds
    Micro Four-Thirds

• Like Like x 1
  2. D4rK89

D4rK89 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2013
    Poland
    Mateusz
    I would buy Nikon mount and get speedbooster :)
    mhmm something like f/1.0 and focal lenght 60mm? Sounds cool.

3. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Very good news! The old Samyang 85mm was ugly, this ones better by a mile. Makes me consider the purchase! And yes with a booster it will be a winner (but PK for me!)

4. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    is it out yet? where can you get it?

5. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Is there an image attached to a m43 body?

Not sure how large that lens is..?

6. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    From what I gather the m43 mount is 20mm shorter than the Nikon mount but a little heavier - I haven't seen a picture with that version mounted... here's my Nikon adapted Rokinon version on my GX7.

12604671145_be1983c0f1_c.
    P2173868_.jpg by Michael Presley, on Flickr

I'm awaiting delivery of the Mitakon Lens Turbo to use with it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Unless it's a different lens it has to be longer than the Nikon mount. If you take a look at the chart, it's about 27mm longer.

8. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    I agree with the rest, best to get a CaNikon version and speed boost. I had this lens on Canon before and its a great lens just really huge for M43 (personal opinion of course). But with speeboosting at-least you get a serious low light beast at the expense of the large size. Its a decent tradeoff that way.

9. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    You are of course correct... I read the chart and then wrote it down backwards. Thanks for keeping me straight.

10. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    seems like the same size as the old version, and the same rubber focusing grip. If it's price the same, they have a new Customer.

11. acronimo

acronimo New to Mu-43

Jan 1, 2014
    If you live in $ world you can grab it HERE for 299$ ..... :-( I live in Italy!!!!

12. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    I'd take the Nikon version and Speedboost it. You'd get a nice functional aperture ring and a lens you could adapt to anything due to the huge flange distance. That's shorter than an adapter that just matches the flange distance.

Abeit I'd be concerned if this is new or old production. Seems some of the old ones are really weird in the QC and tended to have some softness issues going on. The later ones seemed to have optics comparable to the latest 85mm lenses around.
    I'm personally waiting for Samyang to release the autofocus versions to see what's going to happen. Either they're worthwhile enough for me to pay the same or a bit more to get them to work on (Here's to my wishes for screwdrive!) Nikon bodies or get the manual focus versions for less.

13. TBK

TBK Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    MPresley,

I'm considering a Samyang 85mm 1.4 (Nikon version with chip), paired with a metabones speedbooster to mount on a GX7.

Could you give a sense of how you like the Samyang 85/GX7 combo? It looks to be a big honkin lens for a m43 body, but I'm curious about the weight balance part of the equation. How it feels in the hand(s).

Cheers,
    Brian