Samyang 7.5mm v 8mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Al., Jan 4, 2015.

1. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    I want to get a Samyang fisheye, but in a quandary, I can either get the m43 7.5mm for my EM-5 or the 8mm for my Fuji x.

on crop factors m43 with 2x crop 7.5 equates to 15mm on full frame...

.........................on fuji X with crop of 1.5, equates to 12mm on full frame..

has anyone experienced, using both? and if so, is there much difference in the field of view?
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The angle of view is 180 degrees for both lenses. Focal length equivalency and fisheye lenses don't track 1:1.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    When you get this wide the focal length doesn't always give you exactly what you expect. Both lenses have a 180 degree field of view so there is no difference there. I'd go with whichever system is my favorite at the moment.
  4. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Having used both, or rather the samyang 7.5mm on M43rds and the Samyang 8mm EF on a Canon camera, there is no different in the angle of view between the systems. The focal length isn't particularly important for fisheye lenses, the AOV number is what you want to look at.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apparently the 8mm is a stereographic projection while the 7.5mm is a normal fisheye. Stereographic tends to look nicer in my eyes as there's less angular distortion. I often reproject in post processing to stereographic.

The super wide with the E-M5 IBIS is amazing though. Despite being f/3.5, I find that can use it in lighting situations that otherwise warrant f/1.8 primes!
  6. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I've not used the 8mm lens, but I do have the 7.5 Rokinon and the 9-18 ED Zuiko. The 7.5mm is definitely a FE lens. You can get very interesting images with it and the landscapes can be really nice. However, the distortion at close FD is severe and you might not like it. The 9-18 zoom is a very wide angle lens but not FE. Rectilinear wide angle lenses give you much less distortion. Of course, part of the fun of the FE lens *is* the FE effect :biggrin:
    Whichever you decide will probably give you satisfaction. If you want the 7.5 Rokinon, I can sell you mine at a very good price (need the funds for a Summilux 50 f1.4).
  7. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I don't know about other fisheyes, but I can't imaging they're any sharper than the m4/3s Rokinon. If I crop center of image its sharper than most of my other lenses (Sigma 30 might dispute that...but most are sharp enough that I don't even worry about the word "sharp" much anymore). It's small too. I shoot at F4 in low-light situations. F3.5 is off-limits IMO.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. wjiang

Why is this?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I absolutely loooove my 7.5. I bought it as a cheap toy and because I've never had a FE before, but it's become an indispensable part of my kit.

It is ridiculously sharp with superb contrast and colours (even at 3.5...I usually stop it down to 4 or 5.6 out of habit, but I don't hesitate to go to 3.5 if I have to). It's easily one of the, if not THE sharpest lens for the system. The distortion is easy to control...put your horizon in the middle and if you're far enough from your subject, you've got a great UWA. Otherwise, you can have fun playing with the distortions.
  10. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    It improves significantly at f4 over f3.5. My copy does anyway. f5.6 is better yet but for inside of homes the stop f4 gives you is better than upping the ISO a stop. The f3.5 vs f4...I'd rather up the ISO.
  11. wjiang

Hmm on my copy f/3.5 is plenty usable, especially when my ISO is at 3200 anyway!
    • Like Like x 1