1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pkeenan80, Apr 18, 2012.

1. pkeenan80

pkeenan80 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Hi, I'd like some advice if anyone's come across this:

Digital Camera, DSLR Lens, Samyang, Sigma

Seems like a really good price for a fisheye and the description suggests it'll fix directly onto my EPL-1...

Does anyone have any experience of Samyang lenses? Is it worth going for?

Thanks!...

2. pkeenan80

pkeenan80 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    oh, meant to ask does anyone know if this is auto or manual focus? I'm guessing it must be manual or the ad would say so...

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    it'll fit perfectly.....do a search on these forums...many people use them and are happy. They are a fun lens.....
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukinosity/6795674690/" title="Happy Leap Day by Lukinosity (not around much..... too much work), on Flickr">"500" height="375" alt="Happy Leap Day"></a>

They are manual focus. You will also see them being discussed under the name Rokinon.....same exact lens. I should put mine and go out and shoot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pkeenan80

pkeenan80 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Wow Luke a sample shot was just what I was looking for, that's a great shot... thanks!

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
  6. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I just picked this lens up a few weeks ago. Very sharp, light, small, handles well, shockingly resistant to lens flare. Manual focus only (you need to set your camera's "Shoot without lens" option to on to use it), but you don't need an adapter or anything to actually mount it. Only drawback is that it's very easy to get your fingers in frame when holding the focus ring, but you learn to cope.

The fisheye effect is fun, but it takes some experimenting to really learn how to use the effect properly as to not induce motion sickness. It can go really fishy or slightly fishy depending on your elevation and distance to your subject and composition.

Definitely recommend it if you're into that kind of distortion :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Just got my Rokinon yesterday. I've only shot a few with it, but loving it so far. It's very well built, metal mount. Fits on my E-P1 and E-PL2 perfectly. Easy to focus and very sharp. Excellent lens for the price. I'm very excited to really start using it.

8. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    That's a very good price, too (he said through gritted teeth) :rolleyes:

9. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Amazon has the Rokinon version for $299, shipped. Not sure about international shipping though.

10. ShrubMonkey

ShrubMonkey Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2012
    Purchased this last month under one of its other names, Walimex. Great fun using it today, experimenting with different heights causing different distortions

11. pkeenan80

pkeenan80 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Thanks for your advice guys... looks like a fantastic little bit of kit and it's next on my shopping list...