Shootout Samyang 7.5mm f3.5 / Olympus 8mm f1.8 / Olympus 7-14 f2.8

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I own all 3 of the lenses listed above. The Samyang 7.5mm FE was the first really wide m43 lens I bought, followed a few years later with the Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 Pro. I recently had an opportunity to buy an 'open box' Olympus 8mm f1.8 at a discount; the fast aperture and autofocus/auto aperture were added incentives.
I now own 3 wide angle lenses and figured it was prudent to see what the AoV differences were before potentially selling off the Samyang. I mounted my E-M1 II on a tripod and changed lenses and 8mm FE corrections (none, -1, -2, -3) to also compare the 8mm corrected performance against the wide Pro zoom.
Here's the result:
Samyang 7.5mm FE.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Olympus 8mm 1.8 FE SOOC.jpg

Olympus 8mm f1.8 FE Wide 1.jpg

Olympus 8mm f1.8 FE Wide 2.jpg

Olympus 8mm f1.8 FE Wide 3.jpg

The Samyang 7.5mm FE is wider than the Olympus 8MM FE.
Olympus 7-14mm results in the next post in this thread.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I own all 3 of the lenses listed above. The Samyang 7.5mm FE was the first really wide m43 lens I bought, followed a few years later with the Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 Pro. I recently had an opportunity to buy an 'open box' Olympus 8mm f1.8 at a discount; the fast aperture and autofocus/auto aperture were added incentives.
I now own 3 wide angle lenses and figured it was prudent to see what the AoV differences were before potentially selling off the Samyang. I mounted my E-M1 II on a tripod and changed lenses and 8mm FE corrections (none, -1, -2, -3) to also compare the 8mm corrected performance against the wide Pro zoom.
Here's the result:
View attachment 734363
View attachment 734364
View attachment 734365
View attachment 734366
View attachment 734367

The Samyang 7.5mm FE is wider than the Olympus 8MM FE.
Olympus 7-14mm results in the next post in this thread.
The following Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 Pro images are jpgs SOOC at 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 12mm and 14mm as marked on the zoom ring:
Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 at 7mm.jpg

Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 at 8mm.jpg

Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 at 9mm.jpg

Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 at 10mm.jpg

Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 at 12mm.jpg

Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 at 14mm.jpg

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Very useful, but would you mind labelling the photos? I think it would be very helpful.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Very useful, but would you mind labelling the photos? I think it would be very helpful.
If you're a www.mu-43.com subscriber the camera, lens, focal length, aperture, shutter speed and ISO all show up under the photos.
The first post has the Samyang 7.5mm, Oly 8mm stock FE image, -1, -2 and -3 corrections in that order. The second post has the focal lengths in order as described ahead of the photos.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Thanks for the comparisons, especially of the zoom. I have a question...when defishing in the camera is this always after shooting or can you see the effect in the finder?
You see the effect on the finder. In fact, that's its most useful feature. You can shoot raw, planning on defishing in PP, but see the likely crop/composition after the processing. Nice.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
BTW - I have the 8mm Pro now and owned the Samyang previously. There's not a lot in it IQ wise, but the Oly lens is as sharp at f1.8 as the Samyang at f3.5. You also get AF and EXIF - both well worth having IMHO.

Last edited:

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Thanks for the comparisons, especially of the zoom. I have a question...when defishing in the camera is this always after shooting or can you see the effect in the finder?
You can see the selected level of defishing in the EVF and the LCD. When you look at the downloaded files in OV3, the RAW files are still the fisheye image while the JPEGs are defished by the amount you set in the camera.

Latest threads

Top Bottom