1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samyang 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye arrives

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by harry_s, Sep 14, 2011.

1. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I ordered my Samyang direct from the European distributor (in Poland) on eBay last week, it arrived today so here are a few initial thoughts and photos...

Box Contents
    A fairly naff (but better than nothing) leather-like pouch, an instruction sheet, the lens itself and a nice secure lens cap...
    [​IMG]

Size
    I've not owned the Panasonic Fisheye for comparison, but this is as small as would expect from such a lens. It feels like a very expensive lens, very 'solid', well put together and the focus and aperture rings feel excellent, the aperture ring 'clicks' satisfyingly through its range and the focus ring is nicely damped, not too loose but very smooth.
    [​IMG]

G3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

E-PL2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I won't get to use it properly until the weekend, but as I've never shot with manual focus before I tried a bit of an extreme test, I shot close-up and wide open in my very sunny garden with the E-PL2, even without a viewfinder it was pretty easy to find the very thin band of focus wide open, to give you an idea the built in lens hood was virtually touching the subjects in these photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's very easy to notice your fingers drift into frame, something I never experienced with my Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye. I think it's about as small as you could ever want a Fisheye without it being very difficult to use.

First impressions are very positive though, it's been bought mainly for our forthcoming holidays (New York, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Hawaii), I can't wait to try it out properly.

• Like Like x 20
  2. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
  3. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Wow awesome! Can't wait for more pics. I cant decide to get the black or silver one.

4. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    if it isn't too much to ask, can you take a photo of the e-pl2 with the samyang fisheye (front and above shots) muchos gracias! :smile:

5. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Here you go...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Looking forward to more examples!

PS- enjoyed the motorsport blog as well.

7. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    That's all that i need to hit that "buy it now" button. Thanks mate!

8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Looks pretty sleek. Although I am more interested to see Samyang make their 85mm f1.4 in m43 mount (smaller size and weight)

9. patrock1

patrock1 New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Wow, very nice indeed. I'm so tempted to get this...would look great on my e-pl2.

10. Pen F

Pen F Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    This looks like a must have. Now if I can only find someone to buy one of my kidneys!!

11. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Gave it a good work out today and it was a joy to use. Set it to f5.6 and infinity focus and didn't worry about touching anything after that. I nearly knocked into a few priceless cars whilst not realising how close I was to them, but apart from that there were no problems!

I've posted a few images in the Sample forum.

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    More pix of the rally Stratos!

13. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Looks a cracking lens, always fancied a fish eye but the Panasonic is much dearer, might have to get one of these!

14. Kukulcan

Kukulcan New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2011
    I tried a little panorama photography with my Nikon D90 + Walimex 8mm

Now I am looking for a new camera only for panoramas, right now preferring Pentax + Samyang 8mm because of the automatic aperture control.

Will this lens on a G3 or E-PL2/3 give the same FOV and control as the Pentax/Samyang 8mm?

I am not sure if I would rather prefer a compact (and lightweight) solution or rather a large camera like the D90 (which am used to and which fits my huge hands). What do you think?

15. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    All fisheye are 180* FOV (in circular that is in all directions, in square it's corner to corner) but that doesn't mean they look the same. 8mm on m43 is equiv to 16 on FF, and I think 8 on Pentax APSC is equiv to 12mm.

16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The Samyang 8mm fisheye is 180 degrees corner to corner on a Nikon APS-C, but about 167 degrees on Canon's slightly smaller flavor of APS-C. I recall some 160 degree "fisheye" lenses in the past, and Nikon once made a 220 degree fisheye (yes, it actually saw behind itself). On the smaller m43 sensor the 8mm Samyang will be substantially less than 180. An m43 sensor is essentially taking a crop out of the middle of the APS-C frame.

Kukulcan

Both the Samyang 7.5mm lens on m43 and the Samyang 8mm lens on Pentax will give 180 degree field of view corner to corner. The Samyang 8mm lens on m43 less than that.

As for automatic aperture control, I don't think that's really very important. All modern bodies will provide auto exposure with a manual lens if you set the body to Aperture mode.

17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, of course I meant on the sensor size it's designed for.

18. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Alan
    Thanks for the review and pics, glad you like the lens

I have been thinking about getting this lens, since it was first talked about on the fourm. I was impressed the pics on the Samyang web site, and while the Panasonic fisheye would be nice can't really justify it for the amount of use it likely to get. My fav lens is my 9-18mm Oly which I mainly use at between 9-11 mm looking back at my shots. I know this is a different style lens fisheye compared to uwa but would the extra 1.5mm make that much of a difference to my shots. I would love to be able to try one on my camera to take a few shots before making my mind up, but don't think I will get the chance.

I saw it on ebay the other day and nearly went for it, then saw posting from Poland and thought I would have a look around more first, but did not realise that this was the European distributor so still might go for it. :smile:

19. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    very nice and useful review, thanks for sharing

20. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    That's what I thought when I bought mine, and now that I have it, I use it all the time! Since you're obviously an UWA fan, I think you would like it.