Showcase Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5

StanS

Mu-43 Regular
Crawley, West Sussex UK / Plovdiv, Bulgaria
The lens should definitely be sharper than the pictures you posted. Fortunately, it is relatively easy to mitigate the issue. Have a look at this guide: A DIY Guide For Fixing The Rokinon/Samyang MFT Fisheye Focus Issue

Have a play with adjusting the tightness of the rear lens element until you achieve satisfying results. You can also use focus peaking and magnification just to be entirely sure that you got the focus right. Finally, can I ask what apertures did you use for shooting these pictures?

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I am slighty disappointed with the sharpness. I know about the problem with infinity focus on some copies, so I set the focus ring slightly in front of the infinity mark. Is this amount of sharpness expected or am I doing something wrong?
The rear element group is sometimes not screwed in tightly. It's pretty easy to adjust. There are a couple of threads about adjusting it - I just turned mine down tight and it worked for me.
I ran some tests with mine and noticed the quite large field curvature - not surprising with this type of lens. Stop down to about f5.6 or f8 and you should see improvement as more of the whole image is pulled into focus. It's a quite good lens for the money.

Brecht

Mu-43 Regular
The lens should definitely be sharper than the pictures you posted. Fortunately, it is relatively easy to mitigate the issue. Have a look at this guide: A DIY Guide For Fixing The Rokinon/Samyang MFT Fisheye Focus Issue

Have a play with adjusting the tightness of the rear lens element until you achieve satisfying results. You can also use focus peaking and magnification just to be entirely sure that you got the focus right. Finally, can I ask what apertures did you use for shooting these pictures?
I used f/5.6

Brecht

Mu-43 Regular
It looks like it's the wrong FoV. Have you double checked that you imported into Hugin as 7.5mm full frame fisheye at 2x crop factor?
I think I did, but afterwards I messed with other parameters. Will try it again another time.

The DIY guide looks too intimidating. I guess I'll get used to my less than optimal lens.

Brecht

Mu-43 Regular
Really? All I did was finger tighten mine.
So I actually managed to find a small screwdriver and followed the tutorial. I tightened the rear element as much as I could.

The resulting images look exactly the same as before... which is slightly disappointing. I magnified during focusing and the sharpest I could get the view was at the infinity mark, so my lens does not focus past infinity. So if I understand correctly I should try to untighten the rear element?
Or maybe this amount of sharpness is what I should expect?

Here's a full size JPG (converted from RAW in DxO Photolab using my standard preset, so nothing too extreme):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brechtvergult/47822009892/sizes/o/

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
So I actually managed to find a small screwdriver and followed the tutorial. I tightened the rear element as much as I could.

The resulting images look exactly the same as before... which is slightly disappointing. I magnified during focusing and the sharpest I could get the view was at the infinity mark, so my lens does not focus past infinity. So if I understand correctly I should try to untighten the rear element?
Or maybe this amount of sharpness is what I should expect?

Here's a full size JPG (converted from RAW in DxO Photolab using my standard preset, so nothing too extreme):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brechtvergult/47822009892/sizes/o/
Mine focuses past infinity, so that might be the difference. I can't seem to view it on Flickr at 100%, so can't really tell.

Brecht

Mu-43 Regular
Mine focuses past infinity, so that might be the difference. I can't seem to view it on Flickr at 100%, so can't really tell.
Now it should be visible. I tried several times tightening and loosening the rear lens element. Wherever the point of infinity focus was, I used magnify to focus. I did not get sharper photos than this example (shot at f/5.6). The letters in the middle are still a bit fuzzy. So the point is no longer that the focus scale is off. I can live with that. Worse is that focused at infinity the sharpness is still disappointing to me. I could be exaggerating or I could have a suboptimal copy of this lens but I think I'll get rid of this lens...

P5180876

Last edited:

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Now it should be visible. I tried several times tightening and loosening the rear lens element. Wherever the point of infinity focus was, I used magnify to focus. I did not get sharper photos than this example (shot at f/5.6). The letters in the middle are still a bit fuzzy. So the point is no longer that the focus scale is off. I can live with that. Worse is that focused at infinity the sharpness is still disappointing to me. I could be exaggerating or I could have a supoptimal copy of this lens but I think I'll get rid of this lens...

P5180876
Mine is definitely sharper than that.

glparker389

New to Mu-43
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Warp-speed, Silver Beach Carousel, St. Joseph, MI. Slight crop; camera resting on railing.

Enoch

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Enoch Haven
On Friday morning at Fermilab.

I often think about getting the Olympus 7-14, 8mm, or the Loawa, but then I look at my shots with the tiny Samyang and I just love it. It never really needs to be focused. Just put it at infinity and you are fine for 99% of the landscape shots you might take. The distortion can be an advantage in some situations. And, I have found that it works pretty well in very wide panoramas. And when that doesn't work for a scene I shot a pan with the 12-40. I personally find that fewer lenses in my bag forces creativity and that's the soul of photography.

Here are a few that I've taken with this marvelous lens.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
All very nice, but the scene with the lone tree is particularly stunning. How do you get the dramatic light-ray effect?

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
Very nice.
Love #3.

I often think about getting the Olympus 7-14, 8mm, or the Loawa, but then I look at my shots with the tiny Samyang and I just love it. It never really needs to be focused. Just put it at infinity and you are fine for 99% of the landscape shots you might take. The distortion can be an advantage in some situations. And, I have found that it works pretty well in very wide panoramas. And when that doesn't work for a scene I shot a pan with the 12-40. I personally find that fewer lenses in my bag forces creativity and that's the soul of photography.

Here are a few that I've taken with this marvelous lens.
View attachment 748459 View attachment 748460 View attachment 748461 View attachment 748462 View attachment 748463
These are great Steve.
I think they'd sell at least a few copies.

Enoch

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Enoch Haven

Starved Rock State Park Yesterday.

Attachments

Real Name
Joshua

Milky Way over my backyard.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom