Samyang 7.5 on the Street + Hemi-Defish

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dtchan, Nov 5, 2011.

1. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    First day back to work at downtown after 6 months of working from home due to a herniated disc. So much pain this 6 months... finally getting better now. I really missed shooting downtown so it was awesome I got to do this again today. What's even better is I just got my Samyang 7.5mm two days ago.

I guess this is not a very popular lens but I have always wanted a fisheye from day one and now is finally affordable and small.

All 3 pics were taken by the waist without really looking at where I shoot since this lens just captures so much. It was really fun! I just walked around randomly snapping pics below at waist level. Most shots are in focus except if I am moving too fast. No need to focus as anything beyond 1m is in focus.

The first two pictures I used fisheye hemi to defish them. I am not sure why I got a fisheye to defish them but sometimes it works better I think. This plugin is supposedly to fix the distortion of people but also have some fisheye feel to it as it is more evident in picture number 1.

111104_DowntownFisheye_049-Edit.

111104_DowntownFisheye_073-Edit.

111104_DowntownFisheye_058-Edit.

• Like Like x 14
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    Where'd you get this lens? I've been thinking of picking it up.

3. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I got it from Ebay Roxen, seems like they are the cheapest ones. I ordered the black one then they told me they don't have anymore...... I didn't want to wait so I got the silver one.

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Man, I always think geez those locations are so familiar looking. And then I realize why. :p

And super jealous of your lens collection too! I like those shots. The wife always wanted to play with a FE lens..that seems like a far more reasonable alternative to the Panny 8mm.

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'm generally not a fish eye fan. However in liking your pics a lot! I guess it's not the camera OR the lens, it's the photographer ;). Hhee

6. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    last one is superb!

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    They look great, thanks for sharing!

The advantage of fisheye is that after defishing you get a very wide angle of view. I often used this technique with my Pentax DSLR and Peleng.

8. Adubo

Adubo SithLord Subscribing Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Duuuudddeeee. Those shots are awesome.

Sent from my iOS using Mu-43 App

9. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    I like the first two, but they don't look any more distorted than the 9-18 wide open IMO, the third one is clever, but a bit overdone for me.

I like fisheye stuff, but I doubt Id use it enough to have a dedicated lens, I notice Olympus do a fisheye attachment, anyone know if it any good?

10. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Hi fellow Vancouverite. The fisheye really gives a different feel to the environment.

Bokeaji: thanks your kind words. I really envy your 12mm and like your pics too.

Phrenic, Danny_Two: I do have the 9-18mm lens too but I haven't had much success with it on the street. Is probably just me. I found it the most difficult use lens. It was easy to use in Japan but not in Vancouver. I think it distorts a bit different than the fisheye.

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Super cool use of that lens, DTC, thanks for sharing!

12. thomash2

thomash2 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
  13. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Wrong camera :rolleyes:

14. thomash2

thomash2 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
  15. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i got linked back to this thread, so thhough id mention how much i love the photos again, especially the PP on the last one
    LOVE LOVE LOVE

16. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Nice images..love the perspective!
    (I have back problems to but nothing like you, ouch!!)

17. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hey DTC, got any more pictures to share? Perhaps the before and after comparisons for the de-fishing?

I got my eye on this lens, but I'm wavering a bit..not sure how much use I would get out of it.

18. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I'll see if I can take some more pics when I work in downtown later this week =)

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    When I get mine, I'll blast a bunch of before and after de-fishing shots up as a public service. This is either going to be my new favorite lens/addiction or consigned to the classifieds pretty quickly. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to be "hooked" by this fisheye.

20. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Here are 2 more I took at work today.

I know the first one is not fishy anymore.... I defished it then 16:9 crop. It just capture too much unwanted info so I cropped it.

111123_Downtown_013-Edit-Edit.

Here is the other one I took at night before defish.
    111123_Downtown_101.

After defish and final edit.
    111123_Downtown_101-Edit.

• Like Like x 5