1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Samyang 7.5 on the Street + Hemi-Defish

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dtchan, Nov 5, 2011.

1. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    First day back to work at downtown after 6 months of working from home due to a herniated disc. So much pain this 6 months... finally getting better now. I really missed shooting downtown so it was awesome I got to do this again today. What's even better is I just got my Samyang 7.5mm two days ago.

I guess this is not a very popular lens but I have always wanted a fisheye from day one and now is finally affordable and small.

All 3 pics were taken by the waist without really looking at where I shoot since this lens just captures so much. It was really fun! I just walked around randomly snapping pics below at waist level. Most shots are in focus except if I am moving too fast. No need to focus as anything beyond 1m is in focus.

The first two pictures I used fisheye hemi to defish them. I am not sure why I got a fisheye to defish them but sometimes it works better I think. This plugin is supposedly to fix the distortion of people but also have some fisheye feel to it as it is more evident in picture number 1.

111104_DowntownFisheye_049-Edit.

111104_DowntownFisheye_073-Edit.

111104_DowntownFisheye_058-Edit.

• Like Like x 14
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Where'd you get this lens? I've been thinking of picking it up.

3. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I got it from Ebay Roxen, seems like they are the cheapest ones. I ordered the black one then they told me they don't have anymore...... I didn't want to wait so I got the silver one.

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Man, I always think geez those locations are so familiar looking. And then I realize why. :p

And super jealous of your lens collection too! I like those shots. The wife always wanted to play with a FE lens..that seems like a far more reasonable alternative to the Panny 8mm.

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'm generally not a fish eye fan. However in liking your pics a lot! I guess it's not the camera OR the lens, it's the photographer ;). Hhee

6. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    last one is superb!

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    They look great, thanks for sharing!

The advantage of fisheye is that after defishing you get a very wide angle of view. I often used this technique with my Pentax DSLR and Peleng.

8. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Duuuudddeeee. Those shots are awesome.

Sent from my iOS using Mu-43 App

9. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    I like the first two, but they don't look any more distorted than the 9-18 wide open IMO, the third one is clever, but a bit overdone for me.

I like fisheye stuff, but I doubt Id use it enough to have a dedicated lens, I notice Olympus do a fisheye attachment, anyone know if it any good?

10. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Hi fellow Vancouverite. The fisheye really gives a different feel to the environment.

Bokeaji: thanks your kind words. I really envy your 12mm and like your pics too.

Phrenic, Danny_Two: I do have the 9-18mm lens too but I haven't had much success with it on the street. Is probably just me. I found it the most difficult use lens. It was easy to use in Japan but not in Vancouver. I think it distorts a bit different than the fisheye.

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Super cool use of that lens, DTC, thanks for sharing!

12. thomash2

thomash2 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
  13. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Wrong camera :rolleyes:

14. thomash2

thomash2 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
  15. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i got linked back to this thread, so thhough id mention how much i love the photos again, especially the PP on the last one
    LOVE LOVE LOVE

16. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Nice images..love the perspective!
    (I have back problems to but nothing like you, ouch!!)

17. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hey DTC, got any more pictures to share? Perhaps the before and after comparisons for the de-fishing?

I got my eye on this lens, but I'm wavering a bit..not sure how much use I would get out of it.

18. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I'll see if I can take some more pics when I work in downtown later this week =)

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    When I get mine, I'll blast a bunch of before and after de-fishing shots up as a public service. This is either going to be my new favorite lens/addiction or consigned to the classifieds pretty quickly. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to be "hooked" by this fisheye.

20. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Here are 2 more I took at work today.

I know the first one is not fishy anymore.... I defished it then 16:9 crop. It just capture too much unwanted info so I cropped it.

111123_Downtown_013-Edit-Edit.

Here is the other one I took at night before defish.
    111123_Downtown_101.

After defish and final edit.
    111123_Downtown_101-Edit.

• Like Like x 5