Samyang 500mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Luke, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Just dreaming about the new Samyang fisheye that's coming out soon and was searching for more info and stumbled across this lens Samyang 500mm f6.3 Mirror Lens for OLYMPUS EP2 EP1 PEN | eBay which some clever seller seems to be "adapting" to m43. Does anyone have any experience with this particular one (or other mega long-range mirror lenses on m4/3 bodies)?

The price point is very enticing to give it a spin.

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have a Nikkor 500mm mirror reflex which I have used with the GF1. The 1st image in the gallery is of a pendant shot with a 2x extender on the 500mm. All hand held.

A 500mm has limited practicality for most of us and for everyday shooting. On a ยต4/3 sensor the practicality is significantly less.

Gary

Some stuff from the backyard ... gotta get out and use the lens. If you were nearby I'd be happy to lend it to you.

Gary

PS- Samyang makes very very sharp lenses ... while I haven't any personal experience with the Samyang mirror reflex ... per their recent lens making history I'd say it probably is very very sharp ... as least equal to native lenses.
    G

3. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    I have two 500mm lenses, I love to use it for distance landscape photos. I also use them for getting pictures of tops of skyscrapers and the alike. Also great when I am on the ferry. Not particle I would agree, it it can be fun.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    i didn't assume they would be practical, but lately I've been "seeing" SUPER-tele shots but not having the right lens.

As an example....every city has a few building that are the most photogrpahed....and they are always shot from the same vantage point. I'd like to seek new shots.

5. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    Oh that here would be the Space Needle. When I was getting my BFA, I heard annoyed teachers who would complain about the photography students taking to many of photos of that building, they all tended to look the same after a while.