Samyang 500mm f/8.0 Telephoto Lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by fdifulco, Dec 11, 2012.

1. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
  2. mussomusso

mussomusso Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2012
    Riva Del Garda
    I do not own one but can confidently say it would be a complete waste of money.

At f/8 it would use stratospheric ISO values and snail like shutter speeds...

3. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Hmm.. yes, about the shutter speeds, they would be slow, meaning Low; as in a low denominator number, because that's the number people refer to when talking about shutter speeds. Unless one meant the amount of shutter speed time needed to be used. Which would be a greater than normal amount of time.
    So one could say "At f/8 it would need Very slow shutter speeds or stratospheric ISO values" to exaggerate a little.

Also that would not always be true. From time to time I use a 500mm mirror lens and it has a fixed aperture of 8. I only use it during the day when the sun is out, usually the middle of the day and I Never have the ISO too high or the shutter speed too low. In Summer time I took many shots in daylight and used ISO 200 and the shutter speeds were around 250. So it depends on the application.

I would not Discourage you yet from that purchase fdifulco, but tell me what do you want to use it for?

4. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    The lens would be used outdoors in full sunlight for wildlife/nature shots & moonshots, used on a tripod. I figure it would have be shot at min ISO 400 with an f stop of f10-11 for best resolution on OM-D. we get ample sunlight down south so it would not be unusual to be able to get shutter speed at 400-500 values and f10-11 at ISO 400. i understand that this is preset lens and it is not Oly, Canon or Nikon glass.

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Anyone else notice the 2x teleconverter? Looks like a cheap way to try a 1000mm lens.

6. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    500mm lens 2x teleconverter = 1000mm x2 for the MFT conversion that's 2000mm focal length...........or have I missed something?

7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Kind of. Still only a 500x2 for the magnification, but the 2x is a crop factor (showing a field of view of an equivalent 2000mm lens on a FF format). I have given up on the conversion stuff, and just accepted that I learn what is "wide-angle", "normal", "telephoto" in m43. Though the teleconverter does also take a slow lens to begin with, and cause more light fall-off.

8. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    I'd imagine that for wildlife/nature shots this lens will not be of acceptable quality ... the optics simply cannot be good at this price (I'm not a price snob, but there's more than $125 in costs involved in any decent quality 500mm lens).

What I'd recommend, if you're interested in a lens like this, is to look around on eBay for legacy lenses which you can get for less money and which will often be of much higher quality.

I picked up a 400mm FD-mount lens recently for $50 and it is a very nice, high-quality lens which has produced some great images. It's also built like a tank and if you're a nerd about this kind of stuff it has a built-in, slide out, all-metal hood and a metal screw on cap - it's just plain cool! There are usually a few such examples available - have a look, grab a cool lens and pocket the difference!

9. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    tried a 500mm f8 reflex in my old Sony DSLR: it was horrible

Don't waste your money

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

10. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Maybe, but the lens in question here is not a reflex lens.

11. dwkdnvr

dwkdnvr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Denver
    I have to admit I was eyeing this as well.

Another relatively inexpensive route to a long lens is to get one of the ubiquitous entry level short-tube 80mm refractor telescopes. They are available for about the same price as the Samyang. These also need a t-mount adapter but are basically 400mm f5 lenses. I have one, but my t-mount adapter doesn't provide enough length and so I can't focus - need either a macro tube or a t-mount extension that I haven't gotten.

My interest in the Samyang is that we're in the planning stages of a trip to Costa Rica, and my ST-80 scope is way too big to travel with. The size of the Samyang makes it look feasible, but obviously if the optical quality is horrible there is no point. If it's even comparable to my ST-80 though, it might be worth it.

12. RichardZ

RichardZ New to Mu-43

Oct 9, 2012
    Atlanta
    I have this lens

Got it several years ago just to try out. Contrast is very low, and not only because of atmospheric haze.

Hand-held with Canon 20d and some Photoshop defog/curves/sharpening/etc:

http://digitalconcepts.smugmug.com/...rn-NC-March-2005/i-CzrqJmq/0/O/IMG_2665Rs.jpg

This is OK for non-critical web posting I guess. You might do as well cropping images from a shorter lens though. Just for scale, here's the same vista taken with a point-and-shoot. House is 1/3 in from right edge:

http://digitalconcepts.smugmug.com/...-NC-March-2005/i-JqP3Z6V/0/L/IMG_8285Js-L.jpg

I plan to try this lens with OMD sometime. Not sure it's ideal for travel though-- surprisingly heavy for the cost.

Edit: Changed embedded images to links. Don't know what happened, embedding worked earlier from the office.

13. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    well ordered it see what it does.

i looked at the Canon, Nikon and Oly glass on the used market and the prices for good stuff is over 400. i am not a fan of ebay, so i try to look at keh, adorama and b&h because I have gotten good results from them. worst case i can use it for a spotting scope.

thanks for the input.

14. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Definitely interested in seeing some pics once you have it in hand!

15. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    posted some samples in the adapted lens section. it has to be tripod mount for 1000mm, you can use the mono pod for 500mm but tripod produces the best results. best to use F8 - F11 and you need bright light! if you look at the samples you will see that at 1000mm it gets soft and at 500mm it is soft as well. Near objects are sharper than far objects. the two pictures of the water tower shows that far objects are a real challenge to resolve sharp. i did not use the viewfinder to focus but the LCD panel at 5x to get shots. for moon shots i used a remote with 2 second anti-shock. will keep just for the times i may need something to capture an image.

Frank

16. mussomusso

mussomusso Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2012
    Riva Del Garda
    Are you not better off using a standard zoom lens and just cropping what you need?

Perhaps try a comparison...

17. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank