1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Samyang 16mm announced

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by madogvelkor, May 27, 2013.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
  2. garfinkle

garfinkle New to Mu-43

May 27, 2013
    Can't really see the point of this lens given the current choices in that range.

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    True -- I don't really see it being superior to the Oly 17mm 1.8 for example. Though I guess if it was half the price with similar quality it might be attractive to some people.

Still, it's always nice to see MFT being included by 3rd party lens makers.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    At a $450 price point I don't see how Samyang/Rokinon can expect to move ANY of these. As I see it, it's sandwiched between the faster Olympus 17/1.8 and the Panasonic 14/2.5 which is only 2/3 of a stop slower. Both of these lenses are significantly smaller (the Samyang uses 77mm filters!) and both offer autofocus. Add in the fact that the O17 is only $50 more (or $50 less reconditioned) and the P14 can be found (used) for barely over 1/3 the price of the Samyang and I just don't see ANY market for this lens.

Is the Samyang marketing department seeing something that I am missing? The only sales I see are to those folks who simply have to have EVERY lens in the system or maybe to those who simply detest AF or focus-by-wire. Maybe it sells 100 copies?

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The fact the m4/3 is getting it is simply a matter of convenience for the manufacturer. The lens is designed for APS-C-sized sensors, and for those cameras there are precious few 24mm EFL primes, especially at f/2. They probably figure to sell a few, and the cost of switching the bayonet is pretty minimal.

It's a bit like the Sigma 19/2.8 and 30/2.8. They did the same thing for regular 4/3. A 14/2.8 for $400 is hardly a bargain on a 2x crop sensor, but on a full-frame it is actually quite interesting.

6. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I totally get that, and I agree that the cost of slapping on a :43: mount is small, but it's not ZERO. I would think that unit sales would have to be measured at least in four digits before they would really realize an ROI on that investment, but I just don't see that happening.

Maybe this lens will appeal to video shooters?!? There must be some reason I'm not seeing that would make the company feel like this lens will be viable.

At least the Sigma lenses represent a realistic value proposition in the marketplace.

7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Personally, I think they may be marketing it for people who want to go with the BMCC. With it being 16mm, it will work out to 48mm equivalent. Keeping it with MF means no electronics to not work.

8. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    The real problem with it is that's it's designed for DSLRs. That's what makes it so big. If it was a mirrorless design it'd be smaller and cheaper.

9. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    I don't see any problems with it ... it's another option.

The Rokinon lenses appear to be great glass at a great price. And the more manufacturers decide to go ahead and retrofit their existing designs with m4/3 mounts, the happier we should all be in general, regardless of if the particular lens fits into our particular gear lineup well or not.

And, I like a big ol' piece of glass sometimes (more often than I like a tiny little lens) ... just aesthetics, and just personal opinion, obviously.

10. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not saying I have any problem with the fact that the lens is being made available -- obviously more choice is a good thing. I'm just confused as to who it is going to appeal to given its price point.

Given your predilection for big glass, maybe that audience includes you. Do you realistically think that you would spend $450 for this lens which slots neatly between your P14 and P20?

11. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Well there's more than one question to answer here. Does the lens appeal to me? Yeah, it does. Would I buy it? Probably not. But only since i already have the range covered. Is it worth $450? It's obviously conjecture at this point, but I'll bet it is ... one thing you never hear about the Rokinon lineup is that people feel they've overpaid.

Go back in time to early last year, when I've just got my GH2 with the kit lens and I'm looking to pick up something for movie-making purposes and I can see this lens making the short list of options, absolutely.

12. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Meh - what we need is a 9 or 10mm f2.8 prime

A fast wide rectilinear prime designed for the small sensor - the 12mm f2 is nice, but not that much wider than 14mm.

9 or 10mm is VERY wide, but not too wide as to break new ground with an f2.8 aperture.

13. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Am I blind? I didn't see a price anywhere.

14. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Take a look at my first post in this thread. It contains a link to a 43Rumors post which shows that B&H is pre-selling this lens for $450.

15. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Yup, crossed fingers Samyang develop a 10mm prime for m43. With Panasonic saying the only new lenses they haven't announced are replacements to current ones, Olympus focusing on telephoto zooms, and Sigma not interested in m43 only lenses, Samyang seems our only hope for an UWA prime.