1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samyang 14/2.8 and tilt adapter with rotation?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dhazeghi, Feb 4, 2014.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    So I've always been fascinated with what one can do with a tilt lens, especially on the wide end. I have a Rainbowimaging tilt adapter (to Nikon F) and it's been fun, but none of my Nikon lenses are wide enough for landscapes when used on m4/3. In addition, the adapter doesn't rotate, so I don't have much control over where I place the focal plane. However, I've seen adapters that combine tilt, shift and rotation (I don't care about shift really - seems that Photoshop is a better solution for architectural shots). It's a pretty expensive adapter, but I figure coupled with the Samyang 14/2.8, it'll give me a 28/5.6 equivalent lens that can put the focal plane pretty much anywhere, meaning as narrow or wide DoF as one likes.

Question is whether anybody else has tried this. Are there any gotchas I should be aware of? In particular, the adapter is not inexpensive (and likely would be impossible to sell if I find it lacking), so comments from folks with personal experience, or who've used wide-angle tilt lenses before, would be most appreciated!

I would also be interested in impressions of the Samyang on m4/3. As far as I can tell, it is well reviewed, but then again there don't seem to be a lot of good wide-angle primes for full-frame, particularly not inexpensive ones - I'd love a 12mm f/2.8 but it just plain doesn't seem to exist...

P.S. Just for fun, here's one of my older tilt experiments (using a 28/3.5):

i-c69Fqs9-L.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Still trying to decide. I would be interested to hear any experiences with tilt lenses, either on m4/3 or on other systems, especially for wide-angle use..

3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Just on this... I posted some pics taken with the Samyang 14mm on a Speedbooster a while ago -> https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=56889&p=567917#post567917

4. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Thanks! Looks like you were pretty pleased with the lens's sharpness? You mentioned funky distortion - is this still an issue when you don't use the SpeedBooster on the lens?

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I had a Samyang 14/2.8 back when I ran a 5d mk ii. It's a nice sharp lens, but the build quality, despite feeling heavy and substantial is not great. The focus mechanism had a lot of slop in it and the calibration of the distance scale was miles off. I exchanged mails with a guy in Germany who had stripped one down and he was of the view that it was a cheap mechanical design. However, optically it was better than my 17-40L at any equiv aperture.

6. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yeah, I've hard very mixed opinions regarding Samyang and their build/QC/QA. Then again, I guess you do get what you pay for. Problem is even the weakest legacy 14/2.8s cost an arm and a leg, so alternatives, even if you don't care about the optics that much, are very limited.

7. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    It isn't released just yet, but you might want to consider the forthcoming APS-C Samyang/Rokinon 10mm f/2.8. It'll give you a little wider view and will be 3/4" shorter than the 14mm f/2.8 according to the announced specs.

8. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Interesting idea. I do like the thought of a 10mm f/2.8 tilt lens. Only thing I wonder is whether the smaller APS-C imaging circle would be an issue. I don't suppose anybody's tested it on a full-frame body to verify that? Only other downside I can see is the 14/2.8 is a lot more affordable.