Showcase Samyang 135mm f/2.0 ED UMC

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by astrostl, Sep 11, 2016.

1. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    CONS: huge, heavy, manual focus, stiff focus ring, no electronics
    PROS: bright, razor sharp wide open

For me, the pros easily outweight the cons. For less than $500 brand new, I think you've got yourself a fantastic indoor event (e.g. school gym) prime that situates itself admirably among stuff like the 40-150/2.8, 50-200/2.8-3.5, and 150/2.0. This and a 75/1.8 do it all for me. I might end up being less-inclined to complain about the focus ring being so stiff, as it can take peaking, magnification, and/or luck to nail a motion shot at 2.0 with this. With this length, the plane can be pretty thin, but the usability of it while remaining bright is a point for MFT.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Yeah, I was skeptical about it when I first got the lens, but I've come to realize that it's just about perfect for the task. On my copy at least, it's very smooth, just heavily damped. It takes some effort to quickly traverse the whole focus range, but it doesn't take much effort to start it moving from stationary, which makes it possible to make tiny, accurate inputs. I think that it's a feature, not a bug. :)

I'll throw in a few other notes:

- It loses the plot somewhat when shooting into very bright point sources at night — e.g. car headlights can provoke some ugly flare artefacts. It's happy with moderate light sources however.

- I found that I was getting reflections off the back of the protection filter I put on it, but again, only under fairly extreme conditions. I now use it without the filter. Possibly a super-fancy filter would improve matters.

- The front elements came loose after a couple of week's use — allegedly this is something that can sometimes happen with Samyang lenses, usually as a result of vibration, though my copy wasn't exposed to any to speak of. It was repaired under warranty and returned in less than two weeks, and since then I haven't had any further problems with it. Just something to keep in mind!

- I opted for a Nikon-mount copy, which lets me use it either as a 135mm f/2 (with a regular adapter) or a 100mm f/1.4 (with a Lens Turbo II or similar). It also works very well with the Olympus MC-14 teleconverter, giving a 190mm f/2.8. I imagine that the MC-14 should also work with the native mu43 version of the lens, but don't quote me on that.

A few random images:

Female Mallard.jpg

Balloon over Bath.jpg

Immature Herring Gull-2.jpg

And flare.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi, whether the native version will work with the MC-14 will depend on how faithfully they followed the mount spec... If I could see a pic of the back of the native version, I might be able to tell.

I wish I could use a SR/MD focal reducer.
  4. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    Very interesting. I didnt realise there was an mft mount in this lens.