Showcase Samyang 135mm f/2.0 ED UMC

astrostl

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Justin Honold
CONS: huge, heavy, manual focus, stiff focus ring, no electronics
PROS: bright, razor sharp wide open

For me, the pros easily outweight the cons. For less than $500 brand new, I think you've got yourself a fantastic indoor event (e.g. school gym) prime that situates itself admirably among stuff like the 40-150/2.8, 50-200/2.8-3.5, and 150/2.0. This and a 75/1.8 do it all for me. I might end up being less-inclined to complain about the focus ring being so stiff, as it can take peaking, magnification, and/or luck to nail a motion shot at 2.0 with this. With this length, the plane can be pretty thin, but the usability of it while remaining bright is a point for MFT.

Attachments

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
I might end up being less-inclined to complain about the focus ring being so stiff
Yeah, I was skeptical about it when I first got the lens, but I've come to realize that it's just about perfect for the task. On my copy at least, it's very smooth, just heavily damped. It takes some effort to quickly traverse the whole focus range, but it doesn't take much effort to start it moving from stationary, which makes it possible to make tiny, accurate inputs. I think that it's a feature, not a bug. :)

I'll throw in a few other notes:

- It loses the plot somewhat when shooting into very bright point sources at night — e.g. car headlights can provoke some ugly flare artefacts. It's happy with moderate light sources however.

- I found that I was getting reflections off the back of the protection filter I put on it, but again, only under fairly extreme conditions. I now use it without the filter. Possibly a super-fancy filter would improve matters.

- The front elements came loose after a couple of week's use — allegedly this is something that can sometimes happen with Samyang lenses, usually as a result of vibration, though my copy wasn't exposed to any to speak of. It was repaired under warranty and returned in less than two weeks, and since then I haven't had any further problems with it. Just something to keep in mind!

- I opted for a Nikon-mount copy, which lets me use it either as a 135mm f/2 (with a regular adapter) or a 100mm f/1.4 (with a Lens Turbo II or similar). It also works very well with the Olympus MC-14 teleconverter, giving a 190mm f/2.8. I imagine that the MC-14 should also work with the native mu43 version of the lens, but don't quote me on that.

A few random images:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Hi, whether the native version will work with the MC-14 will depend on how faithfully they followed the mount spec... If I could see a pic of the back of the native version, I might be able to tell.

I wish I could use a SR/MD focal reducer.

Real Name
Mike Peters
MFT mount, picked it up used. F2, 1/125, iso 6400, GH5...

Real Name
Mike Peters
Shot a conference in low light where f2.0 makes all the difference. I still am amazed at how good this lens is, and how the only way to get close to this in FF is to use a 300 f2.8 monster lens. And damn, I paid $375 for this in MFT mount!

Real Name
Mike Peters
Here's another one, wide open on a G9 with two Godox flashes into a 72 inch white umbrella. Iso 400 @ 1/2500th of a second shot in Weehawkin NJ overlooking mid-town NYC...
081919_6510_SBUS Carley Graham Garcia.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom