Samyang 10mm prime announced

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BigTam, Dec 6, 2013.

1. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    looking forward to seeing the cost for this one. I would have preferred it a little wider and smaller for m4/3rds (seems more aimed at apsc), but I shouldn't really complain about having more choices.
  3. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    A 15-16mm rectilinear sounds very nice for APS-C shooters. According to DPReview, it's coming in 580gms/1.28lbs - and 86mm x 77mm (3.39" x 3.03").
  4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    My guess is pretty much all of the lenses made by Samyang for MFT will actually be designed for an APS-C or even FF sensor. If they design a lens that way, they can just change the mount and market it to NEX, Samsung, and Fuji owners. And even Canon EOS M owners.

The best we can hope for is that they make lenses designed specifically for mirrorless cameras rather than DSLRs. Though maybe if they decided to target the Nikon 1 they'll decide to make those lenses for a 4/3 sensor and do Nikon/MFT versions.
  5. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    I hope it's the "wide prime" everyone's been waiting for. I know people all love the fisheye.
  6. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    You're right, of course. The disadvantage for us is that it's bigger and heavier than it needs to be for MFT; the advantage is we get the centre portion of the image circle, so maybe a little sharper with less vignetting and distortion.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I want native lenses. I am not using my adapted lenses very much because of size and this would be essentially an adapted lens.

The size goes against my reason for being in m43 in the first place.

On the other hand give me a tilt/shift adapter and I might be interested.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I have the 7.5mm and the 85mm1.4 and I like them both - a lot. A 10mm rectilinear will be very tempting. Rats, I thought I was done buying lenses. :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Someone on DPR suggested using the Nikon version with the Metabones Nikon:MFT SpeedBooster. Hey presto: a 7mm f2 rectilinear ...

As narnian said, though, big and heavy.
  10. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah, this lens will be huge on M43. Better to wait for the 12/2 that Samyang is rumored to be bringing out designed specifically for mirrorless. I know there is a difference between 10 and 12, but this lens will probably weigh as much as many m43 camera+lens combos.

Nice lens for APS-C DSLRs, but an odd choice for mirrorless users.
  11. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Yeah, the real problem with this lens isn't the image circle, it's that it's designed for DSLRs. That's really what makes it big. Well, that and that it's f2.8. I'd much rather have a 10mm f4 designed for mirrorless, it'd be half the size.
  12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Looks like a variant of the FF 14mm f2.8. That is nice optically, but has some build issues. Either way, as many have said, too big for u43. What we need is a 9mm f4 rectilinear prime that's designed specifically for our teeny sensors !
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Paul, what do you see as the advantage of a 9mm f4 prime versus the 9-18, which is f4 at 9mm?
  14. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    The natural assumption, of course, is that a prime lens could be better optically than the existing 9-18mm zoom.
  15. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I meant to say 7mm, not 9! Oops :eek:. Actually, I'm quite happy with my 9-18, even in sharpness terms.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Too big? I don't understand :wink: :tongue:

Samyang 14mm f2.8, Metabones Speedbooster, E-PM1
  17. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Gosh. That looks about the size of the Four Thirds Olympus 7-14mm f/4...
  18. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Why don't they want to make a dedicated m43 version like with the fisheye lens??
  19. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    You just nailed a lot of the reason I'm unloading a lot of my current adapted glass and looking at native options.

Though the idea of it and a speed booster is very tempting.
  20. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    According to DPReview the physical specs are:

Weight: 580 g (1.28 lb)
    Diameter: 86 mm (3.39″)
    Length:77 mm (3.03″)​

That means it's about the same size as the Pany 7-14 and nearly twice as heavy. Compared to the 7-14 you also lose autofocus, camera control over aperture, the wider focal lengths, and the flexibility of the zoom. DPR says that the Samyang will cost 429 British Pounds, about $700, so its not even that much less expensive than the 7-14 ($900 new on Amazon at the moment). The only thing the Samyang has going for it is an extra stop of speed, which for me at least, isn't very important in a superwide. I'd be very interested in a small, high-IQ native prime in the 9-10mm range, but this ain't it. I can't really think of any reason I'd want to carry this lens instead of the 7-14 I already own.
    • Like Like x 1