1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase Samyang 10mm F/2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by PeHa, Nov 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    No Showcase existed for this lens so I thought I started one. It's really designed for APS-C sensor cameras but comes with a m43 mount as well. 10mm means it's a nice lens for landscapes, f2.8 means it's great for nightshots or wideangle astrophoto too. It's big and heavy for a m43 lens but seems sharp (IMO so far). Here's a sample, slightly cropped at f5.6.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I've recently brought one of these in Sony A mount, allong with an adapter. Only trial shots so far, mainly to do with correcting the adapter - like most of these it was made slightly short, which makes a huge difference on such a short focal length lens! Originally I had to set the focus at 0.27m to get infinity sharp. Adding a couple of spacers to the adapter has now given me a useful degree of focus adjustment. Hopefully I get some decent shots to share soon :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Yes, infinity focus with my sample is also off, somewhere in the middle between 1m and 0.6m. I've understood it to be common with Samyang DSLR designed lenses and if you google, you can find how to adjust it for the Samyang 14mm, for example here: Calibrate the focus ring of the Samyang 14mm F2.8 DSLR Astrophotography I guess it can be done the same way with the 10mm but haven't tried it though I get a bit tempted, the description on that link sounds simple... :)
    Actually, I also bought mine with another mount, Nikon, to use it with a Nikon to mFT focal reducer (not used in the image above, I started the thread in Native lenses as the lens is available with mFT mount and give identical results as with other mounts together with an open adapter).

4. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Another night shot sample. It's a panorama of two images, cropped at top & bottom.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Thanks for that. After fitting two shims to my adapter my infinity focus is now around the 1-2 m range (it was at 0.27m before adjustment). I did see some screws & wondered if they allowed mount adjustment having read the procedure the crews I'd spotted where the wrong ones!
    For the time being I'll leave mine as it is, but I may well try to adjust it later to perfect it's infinity focus.

This new shot is even more dramatic, obviously I'm going to have to add night time reflections to the list of things to try with this lens!

• Like Like x 1
  6. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Yes, I've now tried to follow the procedure on the link but the construction of the 14mm Samyang is obviously different. However, I still managed to calibrate the focus in another way after some trial&error. So my scale is now correct (or at least nearly correct;)). I may open it again to make it perfect and if so, make a step by step description. It shouldn't be complicated if the trial&error procedure can be skipped.

7. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Wanted to ask, has anyone tried using this lens with a speedbooster/lens turbo focal reducers? I wonder if it will work, since it's a EF-S lens (at least thats what it says on their website), and the focal reducers normally work with EF lenses. However, thing that makes me hopeful is that on photos the lens mount looks like a normal EF mount and not the EF-S.

8. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Yes, I use mine regularly with an RJ focal reducer. The result is fine, really sharp but there are a few things to bear in mind:
    1. It becomes so wide so you'll see the hood in the image, it needs to be reduced or you can shoot in aspect 3:2 which will crop it away properly.
    2. Even with the hood reduced, the extreme corners in full 4:3 will be vignetted. Can be handled in postprocess (not always necessary).
    3. It's quite sensitive to flare and in some circumstances a red area may appear in the centre, specially notible when using smaller apertures.

Otherwise fine :) Theres a thread about it here Samyang 10mm f/2.8 with focal reducer => 7mm f/2.0
    And here's a sample with reducer shot this week (also in this month photo contest thread):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    So just to clarify, your rj focal reducer is a Canon EF to mft? That's the one I want to get (although I want to get the mitakon/zhongyi version), I think canon will be a wiser choice for me so I can easily adapt other lenses to it with simple dumb adapters (I have two helios lenses, Pentax k mount and original m42 mount).

10. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    My Samyang is Nikon mount and the RJ focal reducer is Nikon to mft, but you are right, Canon mount and a Canon reducer makes a more flexible solution with other lens mounts.

The Nikon reducer has an aperture control pin but with Samyang it should always be max open as you control aperture with the ring on the lens. Should be the same with a Canon reducer though I doubt it has an aperture pin, its always open to let the attatched lens control aperture.

11. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Thanks for info! Good to know Nikon version works fine. I just hope I can use the canon one, i'm just trying to figure out if this lens has an actual EF-S mount, or like many other third party manufacturers for canon use the EF mount and just make the image circle smaller. I'm ready to order this lol, but I want to make sure it will work with the focal reducer, returning both adapter and lens will be a pain I want to avoid :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    I like how nicely Orion lines up with the cathedral!

• Like Like x 1